Join the Madness

Friday, June 24, 2011

Colon Update...

Would you LOOK at this title?

The Compass of Pleasure:
(
A nice, 4 word title (and that's counting those little words that don't really count) and then you have...)  How Our Brains Make Fatty Foods, Orgasm, Exercise, Marijuana, Generosity, Vodka, Learning, and Gambling Feel So Good

Are you freaking kidding me?  SEVENTEEN words after the colon!!!  This guy was really interesting to listen to, but OMG, enough with the explanatory list already.

Forget Niedermaier.  Forget the mythical Romanos Melville.  My new mission is to eliminate the freaking colon from Non-Fiction titles.  Maybe this will help?

 

 

6 comments:

Sarah said...

This post is hilarious, and that title is also hilarious. I think they probably could have deleted several words from it. The thing is, clever titles do draw people in and make nonfic sound less academic, but what comes after the colon really tells you what the book is about. I do think both have a purpose, but -- I'm totally with you that overkill is rampant!

Jennifer Shirk said...

LOL!! That's hilarious. My eyes glazed over after the first six words. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good luck! Vicki's Quest: Eliminating Colons in Non-Fiction Titles.

Karen Walker said...

Sarah is right - hilarious - I thought I was going to read about a colonoscopy experience.
Karen

Ed Pilolla said...

very funny. those words just drew me in and i felt like i was having fun trying to make sense of it all before i actually did, which might have been longer than i'm willing to admit:)

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I don't really mind subtitles as much, so long as they're smaller print than the title. Much, much smaller. :)