Join the Madness

Friday, June 17, 2011

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

It occurred to me tonight while roaming through the store looking for a Father's Day gift for the man of the house that I write blind.


I mean I'm not really a pantser and not really a plotter, so writing is kinda like fumbling through my house with a blindfold on.  I kinda know where the couch is and the coffee table and stuff are, but I still do a fair bit of stumbling and toe-stubbing.  


That's exactly how I write.  I kinda know where the milestones need to go, but the route between them is pretty murky at times.  There's a lot of hit and missin' going on.  But sometimes I ran smack dab into something so fabulous and I wonder why I didn't see it before...but maybe the only reason I discover these golden nuggets is that I'm not looking for them.  


So I guess the moral of the story is not to be afraid of the dark when you're writing...there may be a treasure lurking in the corners somewhere...or a flashlight.

11 comments:

Caledonia Lass said...

Lol! I'm a total pantser when I write. Then having to go back and revise and edit...augh. Nightmare. Well not completely because even though I am a writing pantser, I'm pretty darn organized. Great post!

Sarah said...

I'm more of a plotter, but I absolutely agree with this--you have to be open to letting things jump the rails a bit, because sometimes that's exactly where the plot needs to go.

Miranda Hardy said...

Yes, great point. I'm willing to forego my plans and let the story head into various directions.

aspiring_x said...

heya vicki!!!
love this metaphor!
it's perfect! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can see you stumbling in the dark! I don't do so well in the dark though. I need a big flashlight.

Creepy Query Girl said...

I don't fumble around the dark but.. I guess you could say my lighting is dim. lol.

Shannon said...

Well said. =) It reminds me of the passage in Bird by Bird where she compares writing a novel to driving in the country at night - you can only see what's in front of you but by morning (i.e. end of writing), you can clearly see where you came from and where to go.

Theresa Milstein said...

That's exactly how I write!

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I write that way too! :)

Jules said...

LOL, my writing style exactly. But the wandering in the dark part is really difficult with bi-focal's on. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Sydnee said...

I'm a mini-pantster. I used to be a major pantster... until I went months without writing anything, and I realized that maybe coming up with ideas randomly wasn't the best way to go. Now I do vague outlines and one sentence summaries for most of my writing and it's really helped me a lot... I still don't have a vivid idea of where I'm going, so I AM somewhat in the dark, but I'm not stubbing my toes on the furniture anymore.