Join the Madness

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

There's A Word For That

Watch in amazement as I connect the act of renaming a character to that little groove above your lip.  Yes, the two are very much related, just wait and see.*


*disclaimer..."related" is used loosely here and I shall be the final judge

I've been struggling to rename a couple of my characters.  Somehow most of them ended up with "D" names and while I liked them all individually, I didn't want that many collectively.  So, I thought I'd start by rechristening my villain.

The first name was easy. The last name I wanted something that sounded evil but not the word evil, y'know?  I wanted something subtler than Cruella DeVil.  I headed to the online thesaurus, looking for inspiration in the synonyms of his personality traits.  I quickly discovered the word I needed.   
(I'm not going to share it here because I did a quick Google search and there is a man out there with my perfectly evil name and until I've "found" Craig Niedermaier, I don't want to lure any other innocent men into my web.)


ANYHOW, in the sidebar next to the inspiration for perfect last name, was THIS list of ten words for things you didn't know had names.  And the #1 word was philtrum - that little groove above your lip.


I promised to tie this in to renaming characters, and I could quit here, but I can take this one step further.

Not long after hubs and I met, he told me he was watching late night TV and discovered that groove above your lip had a name. He said it was the flectium (Fleck-Tee-Um).  We called it that for years, even made jokes about people with large ones.  

Eventually, we learned its proper name was philtrum, so that body part was RENAMED.  Personally, I still like calling it the flectium, it has a little more pizazz.

Before you go, you should check out this list of insults.  You know, so you can insult someone without them realizing it.  It's an underpracticed art, I think.

11 comments:

Jules said...

LOL, that was some research you did there :) Fleck-Tee-Um, who knew?! :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Carolyn V said...

LOL! I'll need to check out that list of insults. I need a refresher. ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm willing to practice though!

Jessica Bell said...

LOL. Ok, gotta check those insults out! Um ... for my books, ya know? ;o)

Janet Johnson said...

Philtrum, huh? I learned something today!
And yeah, I'm going to peek at those insults, too. Like Jessica said . . . for my books. :)

Shannon said...

You have the same research disease I have! Thanks for teaching me something new. Now I'm off to garner some new insults.

Jolene Perry said...

You are hysterical.
Also, I end up naming people in books with similar names and totally don't mean to. I'm always having to switch names.

LTM said...

I do that w/naming all the characters names that start w/the same letter all the time. For a while my favorite letter was J. Jason, Julian, Jack, ... it was a sickness.

And so did you ever find out what a flectium really is??? :D LOL! <3

BECKY said...

I went to check out the insults and I think they should have a button to click for a voice to pronounce them for you!! :)

Susan Fields said...

Craig Niedermaier does have a bit of an evil ring to it, doesn't it?

Suze said...

I remember in an early novel I had four women characters whose names began with A and and with A. Alicia, Athena, Amanda and Angela. Odd.