Join the Madness

Monday, May 2, 2011

Mock Me Monday - Seeing Green

Let me just set the record straight from the get go. While I was born in Iowa and have spent most of my life in this state, I have never lived on a farm. 


I don't know if living in one of the biggest agricultural states in the country is rubbing off on me or if I'm just a glutton for punishment, but we decided to try our hand at a vegetable garden this year.


We were going to do it last year, I even bought all the seeds, but before I knew it the Fourth of July was staring us in the face and we never got a single blessed seed in the ground.


But THIS year, we vowed to do it.  And, to prove our commitment, we ran out and picked up those little cardboard seed starter thingies (see? I don't even know what they're called!) and one night I filled them up with soil and planted onions, tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, and even some watermelon. 


Although I diligently kept the soil moist for the next few weeks, and brought the babies in the house on uber chilly nights, only about half my seeds sprouted.


And therein lies the problem.


I have absolutely NO idea what sprouted.  I'm thinking it's the onions and watermelon, but I really, truly, don't know...and I kinda need to figure it out if we're going to make salsa in a few months.  What if I think it's watermelon but it's tomato and I plant a bunch more tomatoes?  I'll not only drown in ter-maters, I won't have any peppers for the salsa!  


I'm going to have to lure my sister or neighbor over to identify my seedlings for me before it's too late.  And maybe there's a Gardening For Dummies class I can take.... 



10 comments:

aspiring_x said...

hee hee hee! at least some sprouted! next time- label, label, label :)
i have a black thumb...

Jules said...

LOL, this is so me. Glad at least half of yours sprouted, my dog ate most of mine.

Signed, Starting Over :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

This fall, if your watermelons look like onions, you'll know something went horribly wrong...

LTM said...

BAH!!! LOL--that's SO very much something I would do... :D I guess you have to wait and see~ <3

GigglesandGuns said...

LOL I can't believe you didn't mark them.
You are so what I needed this Monday!

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Yeah, that's totally the same mistake I would make, if I decided to garden. :)

puffalump said...

Just let it be your "Surprise!" garden. Let it sprout, bloom and produce. Take bets in the meantime. Have fun with the mystery of it all

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Ha! I love it. And surprise is usually the kind of garden I grow, when I can remember to water and not kill it, that is. It's always fun when the tomatoes end up being peas (wha?? why did I plant peas??). :)

Carolyn V said...

LOL! That's awesome! I've tried a garden a couple of times and I can never get anything but tomatoes and tiny pumpkins to grow. I've even killed zucchini (which is supposed to grow like a weed. Whatever).

Jolene Perry said...

That is hysterical. And it's still too cold in Alaska for planting unless you have a greenhouse, which I do not. best of luck. Also, if it makes you feel any better, my aunt does a salsa with watermelon that's pretty awesome. SOunds gross, but is delicious...