Join the Madness

Monday, May 30, 2011

Mock Me Monday - The One That Got Away

Ask any fisherman, and they all have at least one story about the one that got away.  These fantastical tales are too incredible to be believed, but far be it from me to doubt them out loud and to their face.  

I'm no fisherman, but I am an avid thrift store junkie, and we get the same looks of disbelief when we relate the deal of the century we snagged. Allow me to demonstrate:

I once found a brand new red leather purse from Wilson's (tags still attached) for $1.38...the deal sounds impossible, I know, but I still have the purse -- a little weathered now -- stashed in the closet.


Sometimes when the family schedule is tight, I opt to walk around the neighborhood instead of driving to the gym.  I actually have MORE time to exercise on these nights since I don't have to factor in driving time.  As luck would have it, there is a thrift store about a mile from my house so I thought I would stroll in that direction, browse for a minute, then head home.

Only I couldn't go empty-handed.  What if I walked in the door and *the big one* was there?  There's nothing worse than letting a fantastic deal slip between your fingers because you forgot your wallet, don't have the right vehicle to haul it, or don't have enough space to store/display it.  I stuffed my only $20 bill in my pocket, then on second thought slipped my debit card in.  You never know what you'll find in those stores, which is half the fun of going.  A lot of times it IS just junk, but sometimes it's not.

A little more than halfway, I stuck my hand into my pocket and shrieked.  The twenty was gone!  With a groan, I turned around to retrace my steps before someone else snatched it or it blew away.

Several blocks later, it hit me:  I had put the twenty back in my purse because if I had my debit card, I didn't need the cash.  By this time, I'd walked so far out of my way, I didn't have time to browse let alone buy anything.  


Obviously, my short-term memory sucks....which makes this a really ironic post for Memorial Day.

10 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

I have a four mile walk in ANY direction before I'd even find something that resembled a store. It's a gas station. The kind you avoid b/c everyone who goes there looks like they're about to rob the place :D

Jessica Bell said...

haha! You're hilarious. I've done worse things so don't feel too bad :o) lol. I think I told you about the mobile phone story, yeah?

GigglesandGuns said...

LOL Wonderful to know we're not alone in these little lapses.

Sarah said...

I have little mini heart attacks almost daily over stuff like this--especially over losing my keys, which are almost always just buried in my mess of a purse--so you're not alone.

Jules said...

LOL, I wondering how fishing and thrift stores led to Memorial Day. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I feel your pain, Vickie. But look on the bright side. At least you didn't lose the $20. :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just pretend there wasn't anything of interest in the store that day and you'll feel better!

Carolyn V said...

Oh no! At least you didn't spend a ton of money. I know I always do when I find a great find. =)

Lady Gwen said...

LOL, I'm pretty sure we've all done something like that! I was shopping at Walmart with my daughter one day and saw my car in the parking lot - I told my daughter that "dad" must be here, too. LOL, I had forgotten that I drove that day!

LTM said...

LOL!!! Oh, Vicki. I do that all the time. But I was thinking the whole time about what a good analogy for writers. Be ready! :D <3