Join the Madness

Monday, May 23, 2011

Distracted Driving

I'm peeved at Blogger this morning.  This was totally supposed to post on its own hours ago...

********************

In the State of Iowa, you can't get your driver's license at 16 unless you've taken a driver's education course. As part of this education, the instructor brought in a highway patrolman to warn the kids of the dangers of driving.  They got extra credit points for bringing a parent, so away I went.


I agree in principle with the state trooper's message.  Kids are overconfident about their driving abilities and easily distracted by friends, music, or text messages.  His delivery, though, was convoluted and disorganized.  The grisly pictures everyone expected didn't make an appearance until the last five minutes and then I'm sure they've seen worse online and in the movies.


Two hours later, I made my way home.  Daughterling had a meeting for another class, so I drove solo.  About a half mile down the road, I noticed a spider on the windshield.  The wrong side of the windshield.  And he was moving.  


I don't do bugs.  Ordinarily a bug in the car is grounds for a complete freak-out. The humiliation of getting into a crash after a driver's ed meeting helped me ignore the beast...somewhat. I kept most of my attention on the road, but the bugger disappeared just before I pulled into a convenience store parking lot and I never did find him.


That didn't stop me from poking around the dashboard like a fool in the parking lot or toting a flashlight down to the garage later to give it a second go.


I just hope he's not off having babies in my air vent...cuz the safety of drivers in Eastern Iowa depends on it.





20 comments:

Jules said...

LOL, I sure hope HE is not either. That driver's class is much worse. At least in KY it is. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

salarsenッ said...

Augh! I hate it when that happens. Do I lean over and smash the bug, but end up in an accident? Or, do I keep driving with my thoughts off the road and on the bug??? What a dilemma!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If I hear of a twenty car pileup, I'll know what happened!

Lydia K said...

Oh, ew. Spiders really undo me. I hope that one wasn't multiplying in your car either...

Stephen Tremp said...

When I got my license to drive s semi truck, all I had to do was drive around the block and go in reverese for about 100 feet. Of course, the test is far more demanding today.

Lady Gwen said...

I TOTALLY don't do bugs either. I have no control - I would have murdered it right then and there! It comes from a bee flying in the window, landing on my lap, and then stinging me on my inside thigh (while I was wearing shorts!).

Melissa Sarno said...

Boo blogger. And boo bugs. I'm glad you were able to stay in control while you were driving. My cousin had a cicada in her car, freaked out and crashed into a tree (fortunately she was ok, but her car was not.) It's hard to concentrate in the midst of yucky bugs.

GigglesandGuns said...

We had a wreck near here on Saturday morning. Teen driver and three passengers, only the driver died. What was a 17 yo doing driving at 3a.m.?

With any luck for Iowa drivers the spider is long gone.

Jolene Perry said...

lol.

I've almost driven off the road MANY times due to spiders and bees...

Too funny.

I wonder if your daughter would lose her point if you crashed on the way home?

Lindsay said...

LOL. I have a spider that lives behind my wing mirror. it drives my friend crazy (she hates spiders), but I kind of think of him as my car mascot now. LOL.

Talli Roland said...

I don't really mind spiders too much, Earwigs and silverfish... now that's another story!

Janet Johnson said...

LOL! Only because I had a little fly in the window yesterday, too . . . only it was in the driver's side and buzzing and completely messing with my concentration.

Count my blessings we survived! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

I remember driving with a friend of mine when a bee when down her top. She completely freaked out! Thankfully she managed to stomp on the break after a few seconds! :)

Bethany Elizabeth said...

lol, cute post! I agree though - bugs can be a huge distraction!

Susanne Drazic said...

I hate spiders! One day while driving, I had one fall from the visor and land on my hand. I flung it at the dashboard and yelled at my son to kill it. We are so lucky I didn't get into an accident! It was no tiny spider, either!

Colene Murphy said...

Bahahahaha! I hate spiders in the car! I feel your pain but this made me laugh. Especially that he disappeared "just in time" for his sake! One crawled on my right foot(wearing flip flops) driving one day. Oooooooooo that was not a safe 30 second freak out for the road...

Copyboy said...

Oh see I read it as a spy bug. The post plays out way different that way.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I don't do bugs either-- especially not when I'm a defenseless driver!:)

LTM said...

LOL!!! Ahh... Vicki. That's the funniest thing ever. I HATE bugs in the car. I hate the IDEA of bugs in the car. Yep, that's a wreck for sure... glad you were able to persevere.

It is NOT having babies in your vent.

It's not.

don't go there. ;p

Nicole MacDonald said...

*lol* had the same thing happen to me once, I was driving my friends car and turned a corner. A spider suddenly swings past my face... managed to resist slamming on the breaks but this bloody thing wouldn't climb back up it's wee silken bungy cord, instead it seemed to enjoy swinging past my head on every turn.. and NZ has w-i-n-d-y roads ;p