Join the Madness

Friday, April 8, 2011

What the H----?

I listen to a lot of NPR at my desk while I'm working. I ought to just had my paycheck over to them for all the cool things I've found an wonderful things I've learned.  From time to time, though, they do a story that makes my jaw drop.

And not in a good way.

Like this one

(Cheat sheet: Some doctor has found a way to operate on your eyes so you won't need to wear glasses for 3D movies)

Admittedly, I'm unusually protective of my eyes.  I don't wear contacts and there's no way in hell I'll ever get LASIK eye surgery.  I kinda like wearing glasses, thank you very much. 



I understand that 3D is gaining popularity with new 3D TVs and just about every movie coming out in 3D.  But is wearing those glasses for an hour or two really so horrible that you would have your eyes surgically altered?  And now some of the people who've had the procedure are complaining of blurred vision when they're NOT looking at the 3D screen...so now they need glasses. 

I don't know about you, but the irony of it all makes me giggle.

13 comments:

Clarissa Draper said...

That's so sad that we're changing our bodies to suit media. What happens when 3D is no longer popular?

Gina said...

Um, all I can say is, why are people so dumb?

Jules said...

Ah, another NPR listener! All I can say is, these must be the same people who are surgically have their ears made pointed :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of! Definitely not worth the risks to mess with your eyesight. Although, I had LASIK and it changed my life for the good. Still, messing with something that ain't broke is just stupid.

Have a great weekend!

aspiring_x said...

this is really disturbing...
*shivers*

Bish Denham said...

People can be so stupid. Me personally I don't want to have to wear glasses to watch TV since I like to tat while I watch and those 3-D glasses would get in the way.

GigglesandGuns said...

You sure come up with the odd stories, Vicki. Too much for me with only my first cup.

LTM said...

why are some people just crazy? LOL! :D And why do some doctors help them be that way??? ;p You crack me up~

Brigitte said...

I just pictured a guy with one red eye and one blue eye. LOL.
3D technology is awesome(I got to witness this wicked unreleased 3D animating program for my film studies. kick-assery! ), but I think putting it in your living room is pushing it! It just contradicts the whole point of going to the movie theater.
Theaters would just lose their money if you could have 3D vision 24/7.

Julie Dao said...

I so agree with you. I like my eyes and I would never even consider doing Lasik, let alone altering them just to watch 3D movies! Besides, I think getting to wear those fun 3D glasses are the best part of those films!

Theresa Milstein said...

You know, I don't love putting the 3D glasses over the glasses I wear for distance, but I still would never get 3D eyes. Sounds like something "bubbly" they'd do in the book Uglies.

Brigitte said...

Oh, don't worry about it. xD
My college made everyone believe Rebecca Black was going to give a show on april fool's. There were posters and announcements everywhere. And I forgot it was april fool's. And I believed it so passionately, I left school early.
>.>

Dianna Graveman said...

Hi, Vicki! It was nice meeting you at the writers conference this weekend.

Dianna