Join the Madness

Monday, April 18, 2011

Mock Me Monday - EEEEEW

Do you believe in bug karma?  Do you secretly think that when you kill a fly, ant, spider, or whatever that its relatives will somehow know you did it and will double their efforts to get you?

I can't say I lose too much sleep over it, but I do sometimes wonder if they're ganging up on me. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive because I HATE bugs.  It's possible.

Anyhow, the other morning I was sitting on the couch totally minding my own business, trying to read a few blogs before the kids got up for school.


Allergy season is in high gear around the Rocho house. Coders has the worst of it, we have to give him some allergy medicine each morning he wakes up so sniffly and watery-eyed.  I get a little bit of a runny nose for a couple days then I'm done. 

I really can't complain especially since most of the sniffles tend to drain down the back of my throat rather than down my face.  I know it sounds gross, but you can't taste it or anything and most of the time you don't know it's there.

Of course, there was that one year it turned out I had a cold, not allergies, and all the gak that had been draining down my esophagus eventually gave me a bit of a cough.  And then one morning, I hacked up this huge green booger.  Totally disgusting, it still gives me the heebie jeebies...and coughing always makes me just a little nervous that *something* will come up.

Anyhow, I'm sitting on the sofa and I swear to you I felt a little tickle at the back of my mouth.  It was probably a stray hair or something, but I automatically think the worst: bug.

I had a split second to decide what to do.  Do I cough/spit to confirm -- and maybe enter therapy depending on the results -- or do I swallow and pretend it was my imagination?

I had a bottle of water next to me.  32 ounces.  I hate water in the morning, but I chugged.  And then I thought maybe my throat felt a little swollen, and I thought my stomach was a little too queasy.  Visions of a little spider crawling up my throat kept me chugging water all day. 

I'll never know if I actually swallowed a living creature or not, but I'm on the lookout for his relatives, just in case.


8 comments:

Jennifer Hillier said...

I will kill any bug that sets foot (feet?) in my house. Or better yet, I'll get my husband or one of my cats to do it. What can I say, bugs make me queasy. I once woke up in the middle of the night to see a spider hanging about two inches from my face, and I couldn't even scream because I was certain it would fall into my mouth. It took me a long time to get over that!

GigglesandGuns said...

LOL Were you in a daze with your mouth hanging open?
Honestly, Vicki, I'm reading this before coffee and my stomach is jumping. Sometimes you're way too crazy for even me! ;)

aspiring_x said...

ewww! i'm sure it was just a tickle in your throat... it had to be... i'm going to keep telling myself it was... tickle. throat. period... ohman. where's the water?

Melissa Sarno said...

Ewwww, yuck. I hate bugs so much. I was bitten alive (well, I had 7 bites when I woke up) by something in my room the other night and I could not sleep. It was driving me insane.

Lindsay said...

Eww. I had a friend who accidentally ate bugs on a regular basis in the summer. I was going to share a really gross bug fact, but none of us may ever sleep again. lol.

Katie Mills said...

ewe. Our pediatrician told us we inhale and swallow hundreds of small bugs and spiders when we SLEEP! Aaaaahhhh!!

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss vicki! tickling is what so cool bout spiders. :) maybe not in your mouth tho. i read one time that everyone swallows at least one spider in their life when their sleeping. that could make you wanna sleep with your mouth closed for sure. ack!
...hugs from lenny

Angela Fuller said...

Oh geez! First visit to your blog and you make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! lol Bug karma... I can relate.