Join the Madness

Monday, April 25, 2011

Mock Me Monday - Cooking with Vicki

I like to cook.  I'm no gourmet or anything, but it's fun finding a new (SIMPLE!) recipe that the family loves.  I don't have many opportunities to cook, though.  My fabulous husband (no, you can't borrow him) cooks dinner during the week since he gets home several hours before I do. 

The other day Angela Fuller mentioned frying eggs on the sidewalk in the summer time which is totally something my brother did growing up in Vegas. He put a pan on the roof of the house (with bacon, too!) and one on the sidewalk and the eggs DID cook, although kinda slowly.  Anyway, that memory triggered my entry for this week's Mock Me Moment(s).

I never took part in the great egg experiment, except as a witness, but I did do a fair bit of culinary experiments of my own. I'd throw flour, sugar, milk and other stuff into a bowl and bake it.  On good days, they came out like biscuits.  On bad days, like hockey pucks.

I went through a period in my early to mid teens where I added food coloring to everything I could.  This totally grossed out my mom when I drank blue milk or ate green eggs. I need to revisit this with my kids.

About the time hubs and I got married, we had his parents over for dinner. His dad was very particular about what he would eat and what he wouldn't.  

As a joke, we bought a gallon of frozen vanilla yogurt because his dad always declared he could tell the difference.  So, after dinner, we secretly dished up the yogurt and handed the bowls around.  About halfway through the dish, we let him in on the secret. He wouldn't believe us.  Hub's mom said it couldn't be frozen yogurt because she was allergic to it!  Luckily, no harm was done...but that was the last time we tried to trick anyone!


One time my brothers put the lid on the milk so tight my little six year old self couldn't open it. I had my bowl of Wheaties ready to go, but I couldn't add the milk.  I ran through the list of liquids I did have access to and decided to put water on them.  Don't ever do this.  It was NASTY.  There's a reason people use milk.

Another time, I had a hankering for spaghetti, but at the time I wasn't allowed to use the stove.  So I put hot water in the bathroom sink and left the pasta in there to soak.  I changed the water about every half hour or so, and after about six hours the noodles DID soften...but I never ate them because it suddenly dawned on me I'd "cooked" them in the bathroom.  Not such an appetizing thought, y'know?
 

8 comments:

salarsenッ said...

Haha! You and I would get along just fine. I so did the egg thing and I was a food coloring fanatic in junior high! I mixed it with Cool Whip. What was I thinking???

GigglesandGuns said...

I was with you all the way until the bathroom spaghetti dish.

LTM said...

oh no no no. Not bathroom sink noodles. Bleah. :p LOL!

And I'm so giggling at you w/the food coloring. Hmmm... now I'm thinking of trying this on the kids.

That would go very far in reinforcing the mistaken notion that I can't cook. I actually CAN cook, but when the girls came 11 mos apart, JRM started cooking and never stopped.

So I have one of those cooking husbands, too! Yay!!! :o) <3

N4M3L3SS said...

zzzzzz,, oh comment

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You should've put the noodles in a pot of water and set them on the sidewalk!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Oh, that is so funny, Vicki! In college we weren't allowed to have a burner, so I cooked in a coffee pot. It's amazing what you can cook when you're hungry.

Jolene Perry said...

One day, you're going to run out of Mock Me Monday material.

You'll need to take a good road trip - I generally do a few stupid things and embarrass myself at road stops...

Angela Fuller said...

Thanks for the mention - so glad there's others out there willing to "experiment" with food! ;) p.s. In my younger days I convinced myself that RediWhip on Pringles somehow tasted remotely like chocolate...