Join the Madness

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Link-O-Rama Part II

A bit o' business first...We have been unable to get in touch with Katie Kelly, so the runner up for the 10 page critique from Sarah LaPolla is Marquita Hockaday!  Congratulations, Marquita.  I'll be in touch with instructions on how to claim your prize.


**********************


I want to encourage you to look for a conference in your area to attend.  Don't tell me you're scared, don't tell me you're too shy.  Just start saving up and go.  You'll love it, I promise!


The agent / editor panel and the Periodical / Ezine panel were both interesting, but most of the questions that were asked were things I already knew.  If you follow any agents or editors at all, you'd know the answers, too.  Why do people ask questions they already know the answer too?  One of my personal pet peeves.  Anyway....  

I do have a few resources to share from the sessions I sat in on.  You may already know about these, but I'll pop them up anyhow:


C.Hope Clark's Funds for Writers has lots of great information.  Contests, grants, columns...check it out.


Margo Dill's WOW! Women on Writing is another great resource, plus she has her own copyediting business, Editor 911


Regina Williams, editor of Storyteller magazine, is open for submissions, hosts contests, and offers critique services.  A subscription to the magazine is very affordable, too.


Catherine Rankovic offered 50 page critiques with registration. Everyone I talked to raved about her input.  You can find her HERE.


I took a class on Social Media with Kathleen Ortiz.  She's so awesome (waving hello just in case Google Alerts sends her this way).  I had a bunch of cool links written down, but I've temporarily misplaced them. (Sorry!)

And finally, I sat in on Kristin Nelson's session.  We submitted the first two pages of our manuscript and she read them out loud to the point she would have stopped had it been a real submission.  It was extremely informative, I wish the session had been twice as long.  Oh...and I went a little fan girl (blush) during the nightcaps session the first night...see?







Now, go off and find yourself a conference to attend! Best weekend ever! (okay, except for maybe the weekend I got married...)






10 comments:

GigglesandGuns said...

This great info. I'm familiar with all but Kathleen Ortiz. Will check that one for sure. (If you find the lost links that would be great also.;))

Jules said...

Sounds like you had a great time and a couple of your links I am not familiar with. Saving for future reference :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Katie Mills said...

wow, I woulda gone fan girl for kristen nelson too! Great pic!

LTM said...

that is supercool, Vicki! And look at you with Kristin Nelson! You've met everybody~ :D <3

L'Aussie said...

My conferences don't start til September. Thanks for the links!

Denise<3

Bluestocking Mum said...

Hi Vicki

It sounds like just my type of thing if I were nearer!

I'm looking forward to going to Caerleon Writers Holiday in Wales - sounds a similar thing although this is the best part of a whole week in July. All sorts of different workshops/seminars/people attend and guest speakers galore. All that time to work on my MS or just mingle with like minded folk, most of whom are women's fiction/romantic fiction novelists and members of the RNA (UK)

Catch you again soon

warm wishes
Debbie

irishoma said...

Hi Vicki,

This year's MWG conference was exciting and informative.

The speakers were informative and inspiring.

Love the photo of you and Kristin.

Donna V.
http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

Talli Roland said...

I love that photo of you with Kristin. How exciting!

I really enjoy conferences, too. I'm always nervous before I go, but then I always end up having fun!

Anne N Kenny said...

I'd love to go to a conference but I have yet to find one close to me. Perhaps one day!

BECKY said...

Hey Vicki! As you know, I certainly enjoyed the conference, too. There are rumors that next year's conference might be held at the same place. That would be great for us local gals....Donna, June Freakin' Cleaver, me...etc! You better come back next year, too!