Join the Madness

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Just Like Harry Potter

I have something in common with Harry Potter, and it's not an iconic scar on my forehead.  Care to guess what it is?


I'm hanging out in the closet under the stairs!  I've converted the space to a miniaturized office and I love love LOVE it. I had taken pictures of it "before", but one of my children deleted them from the camera before I had a chance to download them.


(sigh)


My family room is now a disaster because all the crap that was in the closet is now in piles in the family room until we find a free weekend for a garage sale.


But that's okay because my office has a DOOR and I can SHUT it and pretend there isn't any mess out there.


Here's a before shot.  White walls, and pretty barren. Space measures 3 feet by about 10 feet.






Here it's been painted (leftover from other rooms) but you can see some junk left in the cubby.  This part of the closet actually continues around the corner to the right.






Here I've put down a bit of carpet to keep my tootsies warm, and added a curtain to keep me from staring that the crap:






Here's the view when you walk in the door. I LOVE that picture:








Here's the view of my desk.  I put a narrow shelf overhead to store books or pens or whatever on:




And this is taken from my desk looking back towards the door:




I'm such a happy camper now that I can shut the world away! If you don't have a designated writing space, look around your house and see if there isn't a tiny corner you can steal for yourself!

24 comments:

Murr Brewster said...

It's a womb of your own!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Cute office. So the kids don't jump up and down on a step to bug you like Dudley did, huh? :D

My bedroom is my private space. Not that I get much peace (except for when my hubby is at work and the kids are at school). And I keep forgetting to lock the door when they aren't. :P

Lydia K said...

I love your closet under the stairs!
We had one too, under our basement stairs with pretty wood doors. Unfortunately, it had spiders too, ick.

Susan Fields said...

That is excellent advice - I'm going to do just that! In fact, we're starting a basement finishing project soon, and I might just see if I can talk my hubby into getting the space below the stairs walled in so I can use it to hide away in. Right now I sit in the middle of the living room, which is not very conducive to concentration where there are other people around.

Jaydee Morgan said...

Congrats on finding a nook of your own. I do have an office but I spend most times in the living room. However, when you need absolute quiet and privacy - that door is a blessing!

Janet Johnson said...

How cool is that!? I love your space! You've definitely got me thinking about a way to find my own space. :D

aspiring_x said...

so awesome! yay for you vicki! :)

Monica Mansfield said...

That's genius! I am glad to see your nook isn't full of spiders, like Harry's cupboard.

Brigitte said...

Better pack extra spider repellent!

Carolyn V said...

That is so cool! You are so amazing. =)

Katie Mills said...

omg, I wanna nook under the stairs dammit! Alas, we don't have any stairs and there's no other place to nook it. So I've just learned to shut the world out mentally...

GigglesandGuns said...

Great job! I admit that I would go bonkers in a space that small.
As long as it makes you happy... They can't lock it from the outside, right?

Bish Denham said...

As long as you're happy with it that's all that matters. I think I'd get testy in a space that small.

Stephen Tremp said...

Very very cool. Enjoy YOUR space. Just get yourself comfy with a cup of coffee or a good bottle of vino and write away.

N4M3L3SS said...

lets throw a party in there!

LTM said...

I can only say wow. And i'm totally speechless. You are fantastic!!! What I wouldn't give for my own, private little nook.

It's on the top of the list now that we're house-hunting. "Mom's place to work uninterrupted." :D

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

What a great idea, Vicki! I think you will have inspired a lot of people to hunt for a space of their own in their homes. I know once I went comando and took over a room, I felt so much happier.

Congratulations!

BECKY said...

I love it! And only a woman would come up with such a neat idea and be so thrilled with a small space to call her own!! Yay for you!

Talli Roland said...

That looks ideal! I'm sure you'll be very happy there. It's so nice to have a space of your own!

My blog's disappeared so my temporary home is here!

Tamara Narayan said...

I love it.

I trek into our sunroom closing my eyes as I nimbly pick my way through piles of books, papers, toys, and cat barf. As long as no munchkins are around to say, "Mo-om", I can usually write.

Susanne Drazic said...

Cool idea! Looks great. Enjoy your new writing space.

Theresa Milstein said...

Before I saw your answer, I was going to guess something to do with fighting Voldemort, boy who lived kinda stuff.

Love the transformation! Hope it inspires you to write the next Harry Potter type book.

Shannon said...

Awesome use of space, Vicki! I'm so glad you have your own area to write!

Ed Pilolla said...

what fun. going into our proverbial cave to create. under the stairs can be a magical nook. yours looks quite nice. i'm jealous:) quite jealous, actually.
good to see you again:) hope you are doing very well.