Join the Madness

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Too impressionable

I was going to title this Itchy & Scratchy, but didn't want to attract a bunch of Simpson's fans to the blog.  No offense against them, I enjoy the show as much as anyone else, but I'm really not targeting my blog to the gore fans that might search for "Itchy & Scratchy"...but now that I've mentioned it twice in the body of the post, I might as well go back and change the title because I'm sure the damage is done.

ANYHOW, I am way too impressionable for my own good.  I wouldn't say gullible necessarily, because I have a healthy amount of skepticism, but I am easily touched and perhaps even manipulated.  My husband will ask me if I'm hungry.  I'll tell him no.  But 20 minutes later I'm STARVING.  When the kids get sick, I exhibit phantom symptoms and never know for sure if I'm catching it too or just feeling really bad for them.

So, yes.  I'm highly impressionable and this is not always a desirable thing.

My son reads nonfiction almost exclusively.  He adds the rhythm and silliness of poetry on occasion, but mostly he reads fact-based stuff like the Wii manual, the car manual, and the driver's ed handbook. Lately he's been seen wandering around with a kids dictionary and Volume "H" of the New World Book of Knowledge.  The encyclopedia he's left in the living room open to pages 262 and 263 for days now.

What's wrong with that?  It's the article on household pests, so I've been seeing THESE buggers out of the corner of my eye for days now....which makes me very itchy and very scratchy...and now you can be too!


8 comments:

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

OMGoodness, Vicki when I first started teaching I had really long (permed) hair and I was teaching in the south. In the South we seem to have more issues with lice than in the North. I was terrified of getting head lice. I went to my hair dresser once a week for a head check!

Hey, if you have you ms finished I have a critique contest going on on my blog.....

Mary Vaughn said...

Not exactly great reading with Sunday morning coffee. lol

Theresa Milstein said...

It's making me itchy too!

Good thing you're not in my house. My son is a big nonfiction fan. Reads a lot about war. You'd always feel like you were wounded. And now he's been reading zombie books!

I'm having a 500 followers contest. Please visit and enter to win great prizes. Thanks!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Thanks for that! :0)

Clarissa Draper said...

Gross! My dog caught ear mites and I was freaking out. Although, it's more difficult, if not impossible, for humans to catch, it makes you scratch.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks, Vicki!

Nicole MacDonald said...

Uggghh with it turning cold here in the Southern Hemisphere we're having to watch out for whitetail spiders *grrr* nasty little buggers with an even nastier bite!

The Arrival, Book 1 of the BirthRight trilogy available now

Melanie Sherman said...

Douse the book with an entire can of bug spray, use a long-handled broom to flip it closed and go stay at a motel for five nights.

Just saying.