Join the Madness

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mommy Cards

I ordered business cards recently for the Just Write! Conference in St. Louis in April. (Must be prepared!)

One of the other products offered were "Mommy Cards".  I had no idea what Mommy cards were, so I clicked the link.  The picture to the right shows a sample.

These cards bother me.  I understand the convenience of having contact and medical information handy, I do. There are times when this would have come in handy.

I think what bugs me is that the Mom's name is in the corner, but everything else is about the kid. "Mom to Shane" just grates on my last nerve.  It's like her whole identity is wrapped up in her child.  I would feel better if this card had the KIDS name in the corner with Mom & Dad's contact information below.  It's a subtle shift, but a healthier one if you ask me.

Now, let's make this a writing thing:  What sort of character do you see using a card like this? 

6 comments:

Stephanie Thornton said...

You know, I really can't think of a situation where I'd need a card like this. Maybe for a babysitter, but then I could just write it all down and not have a box of cards taking up space.

Maybe someone with a celebrity kid would need one of these- Mom to Madonna or one of those moms on all those cable shows about having 18 kids. (Can you tell I don't watch TV?)

annaliterally said...

I think you nailed it, Vicki. Gotta be a yuppie mom with no life of her own.

Al said...

I've got an award for you at my blog.
Publish or Perish

Theresa Milstein said...

Mommy cards are strange.

The mother I see:
- misses having the status having a business card in the business world. She probably worked for years and is having a difficult time not trying to professionalize her new mothering career
- needs a part-time job because she's taking the whole thing way too seriously. She'll probably bring her kid to the pediatrician at the drop of a hat and she'll most likely be a pest when her child begins school.

Am I being too harsh?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

For some people, their kids ARE their whole identity!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Yes, I agree.