Join the Madness

Monday, March 21, 2011

Mock Me Monday - Routine

We're creatures of habit, aren't we?  Or at least I am.  I get into a rhythm of doing things (good or bad) and once a pattern is established, it's really hard to change. To make matters worse, I often float through life on auto-pilot, letting the current of my routine carry me from place to place without stopping to think about what I'm doing much less why.

As a result, I often miss my exit on the expressway or walk into a room without any idea why I went in there. I wish I could blame this on getting older, but I'm only 40 and I've been like this for decades.

So ten or eleven years ago -- before the youngest two kidlings joined the family -- our routine had me dropping daughterling off at daycare then driving c-l-e-a-r across town to work.  Sometimes hubby would pick her up, but more often I would get her on my way home.

We used an in-home daycare back then. Most parents would just walk into the house, but I have a problem doing that.  I always knocked first and then opened the door.  This one particular occasion, though, the door was locked.  Not a big deal.  She would often lock it if she had to run upstairs for something.  So I knocked, and when she answered the door, she was clearly surprised to see me.

Hmmm.  Had I caught her in the middle of something?

"I'm just here to get Court." I tried. 

Again, that weird look. Maybe hubs had stopped by to pick her up?

"You left her at home today with your mom, remember?"

Ohhh.  Yeah.

I'd like to take a moment apologize to all of you blondes out there.  It's moments like these that perpetuate the ditzy blonde stereotype. I'm so sorry I keep adding fuel to the fire.


14 comments:

Kelly M. Olsen said...

OMG, Vicki. I'm so glad that story ended like it did. I was sitting on the edge of my chair wondering if you had left her in the car all day while you had worked - a tragic story we hear too often. But if you had done that, I'm sure you wouldn't be telling a somewhat light-heart story of how one can be forgetful. Don't sweat it, my dear. I'm in my early 40's and there are days I literally can not, for the life of me, remember what I did the day before.

Vicki Rocho said...

Kelly - I was living in Vegas the first time I heard a story like that. It's extraordinarily dangerous in the desert heat to leave anyone in a parked car for any length of time. I don't understand how it's possible to forget your child is with you, but my heart goes out to those moms.

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Vicki, I so relate. I actually just wrote a post about this that will appear during the A-Z challenge. I have to work so hard at staying present and focused. Sigh!
karen

Angela Felsted said...

I'm blond too, sigh. Letting you know I just put Courtney's other poem, "left behind," up at www.my-poetry-place.blogspot.com

Katie Mills said...

Yes, I've had a few forehead slamming moments like that too. Twice last year I showed up to teach classes that weren't there.

Clarissa Draper said...

What a hilarious story. I think I would do something like that!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Ha ha! I've done that more times than I care to admit. :-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great!! Thanks for the laugh, Vicki.

Ellie said...

I'm a brunette but suffer from the exact same problems. Sometimes we need to shake things up a little!

I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes, but what is the Brawl n Haul contest?

Carolyn V said...

LOL! You make me smile Vicki! Just what I needed today.

The Words Crafter said...

Oh, man!!! That's a good one :) I work in daycare and I can tell you, strange stuff like this happens all the time.

Ahem. I'm strawberry blonde and of German Irish descent. I use all of it that I can to excuse my absentmindedness and my temper. Hey, any excuse will do!

Funny post :)

LTM said...

this is why we're writers! You were chasing down a plot point... yep. That's what you were doing... :D

shhh!!! ;p <3 glad you're back~ <3

Janet Johnson said...

LOL! Parents just have too many things on their mind. I totally relate!

AllMyPosts said...

Wow!!

It's so cool!! I just scheduled my post for 2nd of April!! Everyone gotta wait for the post!! Ha Ha!!

with warm regards