Join the Madness

Monday, March 28, 2011

Mock Me Monday - Brawl & Haul Style

Welcome to day one of the epic Brawl & Haul contest!  Today the awesome Janet Sumner Johnson and I are each posting an embarrassing story.  Cast your vote in the comments -- you may win a prize! (see rules at the end)


And now, without further ado, it's time to bare my soul:

***********************

Remember when you were 12 or 13?  Being cool was all that mattered, even though it was genetically impossible to actually be cool for several more years.

Enter adolescent Vicki aka The Queen of Awkward. I was in 6th grade and forever branded "the new girl" despite having been there for almost 2 years. 


One Spring, my oldest brother was in a play at the high school.  The whole family went to the high school to watch.

Everything was fine until the lights came back up and we got ready to leave.  That's when it hit me -- I'd gotten my period during the play and had bled through my pants. 


BAD.

Wait, make that BAD!


Like a giant eight inch stain across the back of my light blue pants.  I'd even left a spot on the folding chair I'd been sitting on. Ugh.


But you know how I KNEW beyond a shadow of a doubt it was horrendously awful?

I knew because the only thing my mother could say was, "Ohhhhh, honey."  She didn't even try to convince me it really wasn't that noticeable and I was overreacting.


She did walk behind me on our way out, to shield me from view, but there was no hiding a stain that big.  Might as well have had a neon sign pasted to my butt.

Now hop over to Janet's blog and read her entry.  If you think my story is the more embarrassing of the two vote for "Vicki" in the comments (here and there). If I get the most votes, I'll pick a commenter at random to receive today's prize. 



Rules Refresher:
1. You must be a follower of both blogs
2. When you comment, let us know 

    a. If you vote for Vicki or Janet and
    b. if you want Grand Prize #1 - 10-page critique by Sarah LaPolla (YA or Adult work)   
        or Grand Prize #2 - A Prize-filled Gift Basket including a $40 Amazon gift card
3. You can earn 5 bonus entries by spreading the word (twitter, blogs, facebook, sidebar)
4. This is open internationally! Woo hoo!
5. Contest Closes Saturday 2 April at midnight EST. All winners will be announced Monday, 4 April



Tomorrow: Testing Tuesday -- How well do you know us?
Memory Lane Blogfest April 2 (Hey A to Z-ers...B is for Blogfest!)

31 comments:

Katie Mills said...

OH my god vicki you poor thing! That is everyon 12 year old girls nightmare! Much worse that not getting your period until late into your 13th year and LYING about it to everyone like I did. My period and breasts both evaded me for much longer than anyone else in my class...

Janet Johnson said...

Oh Vicki! I'm humiliated for you. :)

Gina said...

You totally get my vote- from someone who had terrible periods growing up, I feel you on this!

And I would love, LOVE the critique from Sarah, and will tweet about the contest (gmc511)

Susan Fields said...

This happened to a friend of mine in 6th grade at school, and the poor thing was traumatized. You have my vote on this one.

Victoria Dixon said...

Oh, man. This happened to my sister-in-law. At church. Where she still sees people. Yeah, this has my vote for most humiliating. Sorry Janet!

Jules said...

I don't want to be cliche` but "you poor thing." What an embarrassing moment, got my vote.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jaydee Morgan said...

Okay, you win for the most embarrassing. You're such a sport for sharing these :)

Lydia K said...

Oh that's awful! That may be the worse period story I've ever heard. Okay, going to Janet's now!

Susanne Drazic said...

Okay, my vote goes to Vicki.

Carolyn V said...

Oh no! I am so so sorry. You totally win.

Melissa Sarno said...

Oh man. I'm going with your story, Vicki! So embarrassing! This is a fun contest :-)

Bekah Snow said...

Oh. My. Gosh! I have to vote for you...that's THE worst thing that can happen that age. For real.

Bekah Snow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yat-Yee said...

Yup, you win. Sorry about the embarrassing moment. Did you become the new girl with the period stain? That would be cruel.

Grand Prize #1 please.

Also, I'll be posting the contest on my blog.

Chris Phillips said...

I don't feel like I'd mock you for that, because it's rough enough on it's own. I'd totally mock Janet though. I vote for her.

Jolene Perry said...

Yeah, hers was good, but... wow.
VICKI wins this round for me :)

Colene Murphy said...

Oh my gosh! That is HORRIBLE!! (Hi! Here from Janet!) But I would feel horrible for voting on that one! I can't mock that. lol

Talli Roland said...

Ohhhhhhhhh.... ohhhhhhh...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That's awful, Vicki. Really horrible. I so feel your pain!

Clarissa Draper said...

That has never happened to me but seriously, that's my biggest fear!

Beth said...

Ohhhhhh, Vicki. I was prepared to vote for Janet because I adore her blog, but really. I am so sorry.

I'm cringing at the thought of actually winning something due to your humiliation, but I'd have to go with Grand Prize #1. (As long as it doesn't matter whether the ms is complete. I wonder if you could clarify that?)

Angela Felsted said...

Could anything be funnier or more embarrassing than the word BAD in big red letters?

I loved Janet's too, but I'm gonna have to vote for you on this one Vicki. Oh, and if I had a choice as to a prize, I'd pick #1. Not that I'm holding my breath or anything. :D

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss vicki! getting all embarassed in front of people you dont know is just way horrible. i read miss janets but for me you win my vote today.
...hugs from lenny

Gretchen said...

That would be beyond embarrassment. My vote definitely goes to you.

Grand Prize #1 sounds great. What a great opportunity you are offering to some lucky winner. Thanks.

Gretchen

Reb's photo world said...

While that is AWFUL, I too cannot mock. Been there done that only in the hallway of the Jr High and had to be informed by a girl I didn't like and I KNOW didn't like me. She did not tease me, either. I have to go with Janet, Especially, as I ALWAYS laugh when I remember her Old Faithful moment!!! In fact, even though that was like 23 or so years ago, I still mock her about it (and might I add I mock her quite often)!!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Awww, Vicki! I'm so sorry you had that experience. :-( I give you my vote...you beat Janet hands down.

Great contest, I'll have to throw my hat in for the gift basket, as I don't have a ya written.

Margo Berendsen said...

OOOH!!! I would have given you my shirt to wrap around your waist and hang down, and walked out in my BRA!!! Yes you def. need to win on this one. Janet's was funny, but only humiliating in front of your family - not an entire school!

Copyboy said...

Yeah, the period one....WOW!!! BTW...I made you blog of the day.

Lori M. Lee said...

Oh geez, Vicki, you've got my vote.

Grand prize #1 would be awesome.

Melissa said...

Oh no! That happened to one of my BFFs in middle school and I lived in fear that would happen to me too. I have to vote for you!

Prize #1 sounds great!

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Sorry, Janet, I have to vote for Vicki on this one. Period stains are always the worst! When I was in middle school we had light blue summer uniform dresses. Whenever I walked into a bathroom it seemed like some girl was trying wash off the back of her dress.

I choose option #1! :)

Great contest, ladies!
Amy

Lisa Potts said...

Oh, how awful. You win!

Prize#2. Thanks!