Join the Madness

Thursday, February 24, 2011

This can't be legal.

UPDATE: I did wind up reporting these jokers. We'll see what happens

I went looking for Percy Jackson books recently to see how the whole demigod subject was handled by a real professional. My MC is a demigod, but that's about where the similarities end.  

ANYHOW...

I checked Amazon and found a reasonably priced 5 volume set.  But, crazy woman that I am, decided to check ebay to see if there were any deals to be had.

And that's when I found these:  Two different sellers offering up PDF copies of the Percy Jackson books.

This person doesn't have any open auctions currently, but has sold several other series by PDF including The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and the Blue Bloods.

Seller 2
A list of other PDF books for sale by this person is HERE
I'm okay with the idea of someone buying a book, and selling it once they're done.  I've sold plenty of my old books at garage sales. But a PDF is a different story. They could sell dozens, hundreds or thousands of copies, and that's just wrong any way you look at it.

I'd like to report them, but don't know who to contact.  Ebay? The Publisher? Am I over reacting?  What if this were YOUR book?


12 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

That is a strange one. I've never heard of anyone selling a PDF. I know sometimes publishers (and authors) will send out PDFs of a book to reviewers instead of mailing out an ARC of the book. Maybe that's what this is. Be interesting to see what happens.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Lindsay said...

Wow, that is strange. I've never seen anyone selling a PDF, but I know, like Mason said, some authors send out PDFs instead of ARCS. As for reporting it, if you are concerned then I'd say follow your gut... or maybe report it to both just for them to check it out.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I didn't realize one could sell an eBook like that. If you're concerned, report it.

Mary Vaughn said...

It obviously is bothering you so contact ebay. They are very good about checking things out and getting back to you.
Do keep us posted as I think this is important.

Laurel Garver said...

E-books from large publishers are sold with encryption that limits the number of machines on which they can be viewed.

What this seller is doing sounds like piracy. You should definitely contact the publisher with a link to the questionable EBay entries. They have a legal team to check out copyright violations like this.

Carolyn V said...

PDF form? I didn't know they could sell books like that either! Strange!

LTM said...

I think you should definitely report this, and I think there's a way to report it to ebay. They'll take care of it. We had that problem around here w/the FREE "Concerts for the Coast." Tix were free to big acts in an effort to attract tourists to bring money back into the area. Well, natch, people got all the tix and tried to sell them on ebay. Shut. Down. Report away~ :o) <3

Carolyn Abiad said...

Definitely tell someone! eBay shouldn't allow it and they probably don't even know it's happening.

Clarissa Draper said...

I don't think it's legal and I'm sure the author would be extremely upset. As would the publisher.

Shannon said...

Unreal. Glad you reported them! Please keep us posted on what happens.

Angela Ackerman said...

That is terrible! Ugh it's stuff like this that really worries me about the digital age. Authors already see so little $ from their hard work, and to have someone basically sell PDF like a personal printing press? SO WRONG.

Hope you're doing well, Vicki! Have a great weekend!

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

puffalump said...

I'm no expert but seems to me that falls under "copyright infringement". It's one thing to copy a quote or poem for your own enjoyment, but a book? And to profit from this? Wrong.