Join the Madness

Friday, February 11, 2011

Stand up!

There's a song I heard once that said "You have to stand for something or you'll fall for anything"  Not sure who came up with this gem, but it's one of my favorite quotes ever.

I moved in with my boyfriend (now hubs) almost twenty years ago this April. It was a first apartment for each of us, so we needed everything - furniture, dishes, linens, food, etc. We depleted savings and maxed out our credit, but we got the essentials covered.  

And then, just two weeks after moving in, there was an apartment fire. We had to jump off our balcony at six thirty in the morning.

The man in the apartment (across the way from ours) where the fire started died. 

The apartments on the first floor were a complete loss because of the water damage.  

My hubs-to-be and I got off easy. All we lost was the gorgeous apartment.  The American Red Cross put us up in a hotel for a week until the apartment complex could get another unit ready for us.  
Needless to say, the Red Cross is a cause near and dear to our hearts (and pocket books).  That's usually the way it goes...people support certain organizations and charities for highly personal reasons. 

This is a really roundabout way of asking what you stand for?  What causes are special to you? The arts?  Animals? Children?  Do you ever channel this passion into your writing? 


14 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

Animals. Hands down everytime. They can't speak up against what nasty humans do to them and theirs so I can't not help them :)

The Arrival, only .99c on Amazon
www.damselinadirtydress.com

Jamie (Mithril Wisdom) said...

That's Skindred! One of the best Welsh metal bands going. The song is 'Stand For Something' and comes from the album 'Shark Bites and Dog Fights'. +10 awesome points to you :D Ahem, fanboy moment over. I'm not sure if anyone else did that line (which they likely did) but in any case go and listen to it :P
I've never been much for specific causes, I go more along the lines of 'if it helps makes things better all around, then I'm for it'. Though more recently I'd be inclined to champion the cause of Alzheimer's research and care for family reasons.

Mary Vaughn said...

Whatever makes things better for someone. I'm not big on Organizations because in my experiences I have watched them waste more assets (money and people) than they use for good.

Jen Daiker said...

It gives you a chance to really understand what you have and enjoy the moments rather than the materials.

That being said I'm a huge supporter of Habitat for Humanity. I love the work that goes into building the homes. I love getting up early and helping to paint the property of someone who is in desperate need of a place to live.

I also adore helping out Big Brother and Big Sister programs. Giving a child someone to listen to, talk to, just be there for.

Last but not least I love participating in the Special Olympics when I used to live in Iowa. Seeing the smiles on all their faces made me proud to give them a day filled with happiness.

Jules said...

Friday must be deep thought day, it was for me too :)

Underdogs and injustices pull at my heart. I have a friend who works for the Red Cross and agree with you, near and dear. But whom ever I cross in need I do what I can.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Justine Dell said...

"You've got to be your own man. Not a puppet on a string. Never sacrifice what's right. And uphold your family name. You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything." I love that Aaron Tipon song. ;-)

My family. That's pretty much it.

~JD

Lydia K said...

First and foremost, my family. But I'm a sucker for causes. I give to the Red Cross whenever they ask.

Ann said...

For me it is Children and Women's rights. Don't start me on that soapbox!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What a way to begin your life together!
We support Children's Hospital and our local volunteer fire department. And about anything our church sponsors.

Manzanita said...

There you go ..... I would have taken the balcony jump as a bad omen and never have seen the 20 year mark like you're doing. Yes, Red Cross is right there to help in all disasters. A good cause to open your purse to. I try not to post on my cause. It makes me unpopular. (Natural Health) :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Great question!

My favourite charities are: Canadian Cancer Society, Heart & Stroke, World Wildlife Fund, United Way, Red Cross & Terry Fox run. :)

aspiring_x said...

ooh! sorry about your fire vicki! we had a housefire two years ago. it's terrifying and the damage overwhelming. our little community does a lot of funraisers to help out the families in need around here. so, that is one of our favorite places to give. but we give to other causes too, particularly for the ill.

Zev said...

Sounds like it's been used in a couple of different songs. I wonder who came up with it originally?

http://swordsintoplows.blogspot.com

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Fire was always my fear when living in an apartment. Who knows what the other residents are up to. And jumping off a balcony is very scary.

Last year my charites included the local rape crisis center and the kids helpline. We've also donated to the local children's hospital for a few years since my kids spent so much time there.