Join the Madness

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I didn't know - Sharks

Interesting article on shark attacks, but wanted to call attention to the ending (last paragraph) where they state that 30-70 million sharks are killed by fishermen each year.  Some are accidental, others are used in soup (not making this up, I swear!)


I had NO IDEA so many sharks were killed every year.  I can't say I'm a shark lover, but that's just insane. 

Perspective: 
3-4 million cats and dogs are put down every year by shelters
2.5 million people die in the U.S. each year
4 million births in US annually (~140 million births worldwide)
28,000 whales killed each year
(there's a ban on hunting whales, but apparently it doesn't matter.  I threw this in the mix because this is where I would have guessed the shark number to be)

Maybe JAWS was ticked off  because someone ate his mama? Hmmm, I may be on to something....

12 comments:

Jules said...

Not to mention sharks are used as a ploy to make you think you are eating scallops. Jaws was just ticked off period :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Kristi said...

WOW. Never would have guessed that!!!

Katie Mills said...

ugh, hubby and I watched the movie 'oceans' and it showed japenese fishermen. They totally cut off the shark's tail and upper fin and then THREW it back in the water to just struggle until it dies. They said it could remain like that for days, unable to swim. Just horrible.

Clarissa Draper said...

I think it's totally horrid what people do to animals. It makes me want to do the same thing they do back to them. I see horrible treatment of animals take place in Mexico and it angers me.

Angela Felsted said...

Now I feel sorry for sharks. You're pretty good at twisting around perspective. You should try poetry. :)

Bish Denham said...

As as the top predator of the sea...if we lose the sharks we'll have problems. They play a vital roll.

Ditto what Jules said about scallops.

Carolyn V said...

You mean I've been eating shark? Ew. Plus that's so sad.

L.A. Colvin said...

I eat shark but refuse to eat shark fin soup. They cut the fins off and throw the sharks back to slowly die. Sharks are not the horrible predator you see depicted in the movies. Most people swim at the beach not realizing sharks are only a few feet away. Sharks don't like human flesh, they bite us out of mistaken identity. I don't know about the scallops thing but it wouldn't surprise me. Except shark is not chewey and doesn't taste like scallops but I'm sure cooks can disguise it.

Raquel Byrnes said...

That's so depressing. I usually get my shark information via Shark Week, so this was enlightening...but sad.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a lot of sharks. Many are served as food, but a lot perish in the nets for other fish.

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss vicki! i know what your saying is true cause i did a story on it and its called shark fins and i did it to get people to know about it and to get money raised to save the sharks. it just a real sad thing. im thinking im gonna do a post on my blog from out of my story so more people could know.
...hugs from lenny

Jolene Perry said...

Shark is YUMMY. Also, a lot of those are small sharks, I can't even IMAGINE the numbers of Salmon or crabs - I have friends who commercial fish.
It is a bit staggering though. That's a WAY lot.

The sad thing is that a lot of them are killed and the meat isn't even used because there are a few homeopathic medecines that use other shark parts - cartilage and oil...