Join the Madness

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tune Cooties

You know those stupid songs that get stuck in your head and won't leave you alone?  Around here they're called Tune Cooties.  I've also heard the term Ear Worm, among others.  I like Tune Cootie though because it seems a little less "ewwww".

It occurred to me the other day that Disney seems to produce an inordinate amount of these wretched things.  Any of you with kids know what I'm talking about. You're happily going about your business making dinner or doing laundry (okay, so maybe begrudgingly is the more appropriate term), and you find yourself humming one of their songs...over and over. 

Noggin (now Nick Jr.) is also pretty guilty in this department.  Moose A. Moose (What the hell kind of character name is that anyway?) sang "I Only Want A Candy Cane This Year" several times a day for a month.  And it worked its way into my subconscious to rear its ugly head at the most inopportune moments.  According to my children, I am NOT allowed to sing children's songs while in public. Especially not at the check out line where others might hear me.

A word of caution for those of you with children do NOT -- under any circumstances -- let them know which songs you are vulnerable to.  They will relish the opportunity to drive you to the brink of insanity by planting a few notes every chance they get.  I know.  I used to do it to my mom.  Hers was "My Darling Clementine".  We kids used to run around the house singing "Oh my daaaarlin, Oh my daaaarlin, Oh my daaaaaaarlin, Clementine" under our breaths whenever she was within earshot.  I don't even know the rest of the words because that's all it took for mom to give us The Look.  It's a wonder any of us made it to adulthood, really.

As frustrating and pervasive as Tune Cooties are, I think we should all thank our lucky stars that the folks who write these songs are NOT writing for political campaigns.  It's a pity for the candidates, really.  If you were running for office, wouldn't you want the nation to be unable to get your name out of their head because someone attached it to a catchy tune?  Of course, it could backfire and there could be a sharp rise in assassinations when people are driven out of their minds by the song that never ends.

But there's hope!  When I get a Tune Cootie really taking root, not just passing through, I resort to my palate cleanser.  The one song that gets rid of any Cootie Infection.  I think of it as my Cranial Antibiotic.  You'll have to find your own cleanser, but mine is Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  

So if you find me singing this in July, I'm not overflowing with Christmas spirit, it's a last-ditch, sanity saving measure...and probably a good time for you to run for the hills, because the other sure-fire way to get rid of a Tune Cootie is to pass it off to someone else.  

You have been warned.




14 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

LOL! I'll keep some ear plugs handy! ;o)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No kids, so I don[t have to worry about that bug, but sometimes just a bad song can get stuck in my head.

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

Ha -- I have a feeling I'm about to get bombarded with kid songs. So far, I've kind of struggled in coming up with stuff to sing to Stella. So, keep 'em coming. I need material!

Janet Johnson said...

I love the name! These buggers run rampant at my house . . . and great, now I have "The song that never ends" stuck in my head. Thanks a lot Sherrie whats-your-name. :P

Angela Felsted said...

Is it amazing that anyone one makes it to adulthood?

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Ha! Okay, first of all, I LOVE the term Tune cootie. I have never heard it before, but it makes serious sense. And you're right, Disney is probably the worst bug around, getting those tunes to latch on and never let go. Radio Disney is the bane of my existence.

I need to find my own cleanser for sure.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Forgot to say hi to Craig!

Heyyyy Craig!

LTM said...

Rudolph!? LOL!!!

OMG, Moose. He sang that song about "Horns are the tootiest" so many times last year... We started singing "Daddy is the tootiest"; then "Laura is the tootiest"; and don't forget "Flower is the tootiest..." :D

I like the term "Tune Cooties." That's a good one. :D <3

Carolyn V. said...

Hee hee hee. I love that song. But I'm always making up different words for it and driving my kids crazy. lol!

Mary Vaughn said...

I have one of those and I'm not telling you what it is. My grandkids are the ones who plant the songs around me. Check your email! :O)

Saumya said...

Hahaha, all the Nick Jr. songs used to get stuck in my head. I love the word "Tune Cooties". Unfortunately, sometimes mine are rap songs and then I just feel cheap and trashy all day. Sigh.

The Golden Eagle said...

Never heard the term before, but it is rather annoying to have songs replaying in your head.

Shannon said...

Hehe, I call them ear wigs. I've read that the only way to get rid of them is to listen to the song over and over again.

My last bad one was "Single Ladies." Hehe.

If you have chance, stop by my blog - there's a new anonymous critique waiting for feedback!

aspiring_x said...

i have very low immunity to tune cooties. :(
sometimes just phrases will loop in my head, i need a cleanser stat!