Join the Madness

Friday, January 21, 2011

Significant Other Blogfest


Click HERE to see a list of participants

A big thanks to DL and Talli for hosting this blogfest. When I first read about it, I thought "Whoa! That's cool!" But the thought of letting those close to me a chance to dish the dirt on me -- unedited?  PANICSVILLE.

Obviously, I got over it.  Truth be told, I was ready to censor if I had to. LOL.  But all I did was fix a few capital letters, honest.  



From my husband, Jeff:
My wife says I have to write about her.  Right now she is reading to her son. Her computer sits close along with a notepad.  Later she can type away when the kids are in bed and the house is silent... some days it's hard for her to wait (with all those ideas swirling around her head). Vicki is patient, kind, and determined. A friendly person to be around... I hope I have written well.
Jeff 
(current husband)

From my daughter, Kiersten:
I think the best thing is that my mom gets to have an opportunity to publish her book. I bet her book's going to be great.
 

I don't like how my mom is usually always on her computer, writing her book she hopes to publish. Of course I'm happy for her, but I feel rejected when she only writes her book for almost the whole night. -Kiersten (9)


Coders (7) would have just said "Puppy" so I didn't ask him anything.  I did, however, ask Court (15).  I broached the subject via text message.  She meandered to the computer a few minutes later so I (foolishly) thought she was writing.  Our exchange went something like this:


Me: So, will you write something for me?
C: No.
Me: Please?
C: No.
Me: (bats eyelashes)
C: You won't like what I have to say.
Me: If I don't like it, I won't post it.
C: Then what's the point of me writing it?
Me: Because my thresh hold of dislike is higher than you think it is.
C: (looks confused)
Me: Kiersten said she feels rejected....
K: I do!  ALL THE TIME!
C: (rolls eyes)
Me: What would you say? Isn't there something you'd like to say?
C: 'Shut up mother I don't freaking care'
Me: Oh! I can take dictation (opens up email) What was that again?
C: Shut. Up. Mother. I. Don't. Freaking. Care.
Me: How do you spell that?
C: F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G.  And it should be in all caps.
Me: Oh.  I spelled it 'frikking'
(awkward silence)
Me: Anything else you'd like to add?
C: No.
Me: (typing conversation into blogger) HEY!  You shouldn't be telling your mother to shut up.  How about some respect?


So there you have it, folks.  A sneak peek into the insanity of the Rocho household. 

Click HERE to see a list of participants

35 comments:

Mary Vaughn said...

LOL Hubby was politically correct and the kids were brutally honest. Sounds like a beautiful normal family -- especially for you. ;o)

Shannon said...

Love this post, Vicki. Thanks for more insight on your awesomely entertaining fam and life. <3

aspiring_x said...

ohmygoodness! your kids are so funny! puppy! :)

Jules said...

LOL, is that the daughter that said get over the batteries, you need a life? :) Now I know where all those humorous ideas come from :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Stina Lindenblatt said...

And this is why I wouldn't ask my kids to do this. Though my daughter would probably say she hopes I get published so she can get a cat (long story).

Okay, check out my blog. ;)

Katie Mills said...

Yeah, mine probably woulda gone something like that. Except it woulda been hubby sending the 'I don't freakin care' message. After my first book he basically checked out of the process and said 'wake me up when you've got a book deal'. It bores him to tears. Kids hate the computer. Think it's taking over my brain. It might have something to do with the robotic voice and empty glare I have when I get off the internet...

Jessica Bell said...

hahaha! I LOVE this mother/daughter exchange. What a crack-me-up. PS: I've already eaten all the M&Ms. Yummy! Thanks again!

Talli Roland said...

Hahahaha! Hubs sounds lovely. :)

I laughed through the exchange with your eldest! Sounds like how I used to be with my mum.

Elle Strauss said...

Sound like you have a lot going on in your house! Thanks for sharing.

Candyland said...

I love how you called him "current husband" lol.

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

Ah, the teenage years. Makes me want to run! (my oldest is 12. *cue Jaws theme music* This was a blast to read!

The Good Wifehold said...

That's hilarious! Poor Kiersten. TGW

Elena Solodow said...

haha, I'd say you got some very truthful responses.

Angela Felsted said...

I love it! Honesty rocks!

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

I think I'm lucky I had two boys! Cool post. My son did mine for me.

Clarissa Draper said...

Sounds like my family. Although, if my son told me to shut up, I'd... well, I'm not sure what I'd do.
CD

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Freaking? Sounds like a teenager. And 'current husband?' Does he plan to change that if he becomes too annoyed with your writing or something?

Dan said...

Puppy.

Also, don't you just love teenagers? Never shy about their feelings.

Great post.

Dan - my wife's post.

LTM said...

omg--LOL!!! OK, now I'm feeling mommy guilt b/c my youngest would most likely say the same thing, and my oldest wouldn't but would react in the same way b/c she was thinking the same thing...

sigh.

do book dedications make up for this??? :D <3 xoxo

Ellie said...

LOL. What an awesome post. Thank you for sharing!

My significant other

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

lol. Aww to your hubby being so sweet. I'm glad he checked with you that he'd written it okay. :)

DL Hammons said...

Me: Honey...you got to come read this one.
Wife: Okay. What's so special about it?
Me: It's hilarious! And so true-to-life.

For a late entry...you knocked it out of the park!! Thank you so much for adding to the fun. :)

Theresa Milstein said...

Your family is as funny as you. I could picture the whole scene with your son. Asking him three years earlier or three years later, and he'd be more helpful. FREAKING supportive too.

Lydia K said...

The FREAKING part got me laughing! Great post!

Jolene Perry said...

HILARIOUS!! Just as I suspected it would be...

Jen Daiker said...

Your husband definitely started it out right. As for the kids... Kids will be kids.

L.A. Colvin said...

Oh I loved that!! I refused to ask my kids. They where asking me what was I doing asking my husband these questions and I just said nothing, nothing. I think they know something though.. THey keep giving me the stink eye.

G.~ said...

I think it's wonderful that your family is so honest. At least you know where you stand and you don't have to think too much about how you're writing affects them, because that's pure torture.

The fact that they wrote anything shows support, regardless of what they may say...or not say. ;)

It's nice to meet all of you.

alexia said...

I love that you got your kids to pipe in! Brutal honesty... always refreshing. Great post!

Kari Marie said...

Your husband was so nice! I laughed at the exchange with your kids. It's great that they can be so honest with you (or maybe not).

Susan Fields said...

Oh wow - your 15-year-old daughter sounds just like my 14-year-old daughter! That's awesome, misery loves company, you know. :) And I love how you had to converse with her over text. I find that's the best way to go when I need an actual answer to something.

Maybe I should have asked my kids, but I think I'd be too afraid to hear their answers.

Pk Hrezo said...

Hey, Vicki! Nice to meet you. Aw, your family sounds great. Your 9 year old sounds like my hubby. LOL! There's just never enough time. :)

Donna Hole said...

LOL; my conversations with my son Paul went a lot like Court's. I was very surprised when he told me to print out the requirements for the blogfest. Then he sent me that nice e-mail for the post.

Families; you just never really know what they will say or do. Always surprising.

........dhole

Kath said...

Did Jeff title himself current husband or was that from you? And I love that you posted the exchange with your daughter! Too funny. There's a great family dynamic.

Nicole Zoltack said...

lol Love the give and take from your family. I can't wait to hear what my sons have to say about my writing when they're old enough to understand. I sometimes worry that they'll say, all we ever see is Mom's back.