Join the Madness

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

MUST share!

If you're still working your way through Alex's Top 10 Music Blogfest, my post is HERE .  If you're not, my post is conveniently located two lines below. 

For an intelligent woman, I'm not that bright.  No, really.  I seem to have a one-dimensional relationship with words.  When I read them or hear them in a conversation, I know to what they refer.  But when it's my turn to describe a particular tree, vehicle, whatever, I come up empty.  

Words like watchamacallit, dohickey and thingamabob can only take you so far.  

This weekend I was typing along trying to remember what a specific part of a chair was called.  My character needed to sit down, but this particular chair needed to hint at the personality of the other character, so I couldn't just say he pulled out a chair and sat down, I needed to describe the special aspects of the chair to highlight (in a subtle way) the things that made the other character special.  And I didn't want to resort to calling it "that back thingy."

So I Googled "Parts of a Chair" and hit the jackpot, my friends. Many of you may already know about this resource but I got so excited, I totally forgot about the scene in my WIP.

Allow me to introduce you to the Visual Dictionary of Merriam-Webster.  This is so freaking cool, it is exactly what I need when I'm looking to name some part of a thing.




I don't know much about plants at all, so this section will come in handy eventually.

I clicked on this bit about trains because I had no idea there were so many different types.  


I could go on and on, but really I think you should go explore for yourself.

I hope you find this site as useful as I do! 

16 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Yeah I've seen this. There used to be one in the editorial office I once worked in. And yes it's very handy!

DL Hammons said...

That is so cool! I've bookmarked it for future reference. Tanks!!! :)

Matthew Rush said...

I thought it was just called the back. No? I guess I'll have to go look it up. Thanks Vicki!

Jules said...

OMG, it's to early for diagrams. I Google everything just for the factual purpose. What did we do before Google? Can you say, "Britannica, boys and girls?" :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Bish Denham said...

Absolutely fantastic and is now bookmarked. Thanks for passing this on!

Saumya said...

This is soo cool! I was looking through the Geography section for the past ten minutes, haha.

L.A. Colvin said...

Oh this is so nice. I didn't know it existed either. I saved it to my favorite posts. Thanks

Karen Walker said...

This is cool - thanks
Karen

Carolyn V. said...

Thanks!!!! I so need that. It's going on my bookmark!

Chris Phillips said...

I had no idea how lichen were formed. Que gi joe knowing is half the battle music.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you had fun on your tangent!

The Golden Eagle said...

Thanks for the link! I have trouble finding out the names for some things, too--and Googling for half an hour just isn't efficient. :P

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss vicki! wow! thats sooooo cool. for sure its gonna be a big help for me in my school and in my writing. thanks for putting it on you post. i already been looking at lots of stuff on it before i got back here to do a comment.
...hugs from lenny

Raquel Byrnes said...

Handy indeed! I'm totally bookmarking that site. Thanks!
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Mary Vaughn said...

Bookmarked the site for reference.
Good job, Vicki, now get back to work ;O)

Shannon said...

Actually I didn't know this excited. Cool beans. Thanks for the link, suga.