Join the Madness

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mother Nature's First Draft

It's doggone cold out there today. Tomorrow too.  I'm not going to rant and rave about how much I dislike winter, though.  Nope, I'm just using the cold as a segue way into snow.

For the record, I'm not much of a fan of snow either, but that's really beside the point.  The point is I recently had the opportunity while sitting in my car to inspect the snow that insisted on falling from the sky.  Perfect little crystals splayed themselves across my wind shield.

And that's when I noticed.

The vast majority of the snowflakes were mutants.  Missing an arm or leg, frozen at an awkward angle with another snowflake.  Most were far from perfect.

There were a few perfect ones, and they were stunning.

Ever the fan of odd analogies, let me connect the dots for you and make this a writing thing.

Those snowflakes are our words and our manuscripts. 


Not every word has to be perfect. Mother Nature isn't perfect, but she's persistent, and so should we be.   

It's great to strive for perfection, but sometimes we just need to push forward and write those deformed words down.  You can dress them up later (like making a snowman), but you can't do anything unless you have to have something to do it to.

I wish for all of you to write like a blizzard!


15 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Love your comparison. Very fitting.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Saumya said...

Hehe, what a perfect comparison :) So true as well!

Jules said...

Great analogy :) but...

Mutant snow flakes, missing limbs and here I've been sticking my tongue out and eating them! (Spit, cough, Spit)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Kristi said...

I'm a fan of analogies and LOVE this one. Blizzards all around!

Justine Dell said...

LoL. I will never think of snow that same way again. And since it's snowing like a blizzard outside right now, I should crank out my wip and edit!

~JD

Jennifer Shirk said...

Yes! Love that! And I hope I get "snowed in" for days. LOL!

aspiring_x said...

love this! :)

Candyland said...

I would love to write like a blizzard!

Carolyn V. said...

Aw!!! Thanks Shannon. I love the analogy. I hope I have a small blizzard here soon. =D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Damn, I want perfection though!

LTM said...

I'll take it! Thank you, dahling~ ;p

The Golden Eagle said...

I love your analogy!

Mary Vaughn said...

Don't know about writing like a blizzard but if the snow keeps up I'll be writing in one for sure.
Good post!

Raquel Byrnes said...

I'm all for getting the story out first and going back to fine tune. I tend to do it a few chapters at at time...whatever works, right?
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Lydia K said...

I am becoming a hater of snow, but you just made me rethink my opinion...
Great metaphor!