Join the Madness

Sunday, January 9, 2011

More Random Questions

Hubbers and I saw How Do You Know this weekend

At one point George has to decide whether to go to jail for something he didn't do in order to keep someone he loves out of jail.  That other someone is guilty of causing all the trouble to begin with.

And frankly, I didn't buy his dilemma.  I'm the sort who'd turn in the guilty party, no matter how much I loved him/her.  Why would I go to jail for someone who did something they knew they weren't supposed to and then sat back when all those dastardly deeds implicated me?

Nope. Not gonna happen. I'd turn your butt in.

But it got me thinking, under what circumstances would I keep mum?  It'd have to be something extraordinary where the deed was unavoidable or prevented a greater evil somehow.

You tell me -- is there anyone you'd cover for no matter what?  Where do you draw the line? 

10 comments:

Bish Denham said...

I can't think of anything or anybody. My parents were quite clear that if I got into trouble they'd sit with me in court, visit me in jail, and met me when I got out.

jdcoughlin said...

I draw it at my kids. I would go to jail for them. I would. But first I'd find out if they had a good library. Might sway my own butt back the other way if they didn't.

Mason Canyon said...

That's a hard question that will require a good bit of thought. Since I overslept this morning and haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet I don't have an answer. Now this will ramble around in my head all day. :)

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Since I can't foresee my wife doing anything that would land her butt in jail, I'd have to say no.

Jules said...

I'd have to say, "Don't drop the soap and where is the checkbook." :) I am the world's worst liar so to cover for someone...they would probably end up with life :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

The Golden Eagle said...

I'd probably do what you'd do--turn them in, even if I love that person. At the moment, I don't think there's anyone at which I'd draw the line.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'd probably be the same as you ... unless I could protect my kids who better not have really done anything rotten!!

Nicole MacDonald said...

... I really can't think of circumstances where I'd go to jail for someone. Especially not if they did do the crime.... nope... though truth be told prison in NZ is practically like a paid holiday so maybe if I were really desperate for writing time... *lol* okay just kidding!!

The Arrival, on Amazon NOW!
www.damselinadirtydress.com

Lydia K said...

Good question and complicated enough that I can't answer. I guess it depends. I do feel that people are responsible for themselves no matter how much they feel a victim, but then again, a mother's love...you know.

aspiring_x said...

i've never seen this movie, and i can't speak for every situation either, but growing up with a criminal- who i love- has taught me that you cannot cover for them. if you really love someone, you don't sit back or enable them to ruin their lives... and yours. you hold them accountable- and hope they learn. :)