Join the Madness

Monday, January 10, 2011

Mock Me Monday - Strip Serenade

It seems like another lifetime ago now, but one of my favorite things to do when I lived in Las Vegas was to head down to the Strip on the weekend and watch people. I'd sit in the grass in front of the Mirage (it was brand new back then, Treasure Island hadn't been built yet) or by the leaping fountains at the Stardust.  I'd write letters to my friends and occasionally I'd do a little gambling (even though I was underage).

My favorite was the night of the Parrot Snake (which I wrote about here).  There were plenty of other incidents, though.  There was one guy (whose name I've forgotten) who I ran into almost every time.  He always sat down next to me and first would complain about being broke and having no money, but in the next breath he would ask me out to dinner. Yeah, something did not compute. I always turned him down. 

I thought myself clever back then and would always work into the conversation that my father/brother/boyfriend (who did not exist at the time) was a policeman so they wouldn't mess with me.  Whether it would ever actually deter anyone, I dunno.  I asked this guy one night what he did.  He said, "I'm a teef"  It took about five minutes to figure out that "teef" meant thief.  He let lonely ol' women take him to dinner and back to their hotel rooms and after doing the deed, he'd steal whatever he could.

Apparently he wasn't a very good one if (a) he was always broke (b) thought I was a suitable target and (c) admitted to a supposed cop's daughter that he was a thief.

He was, however, very funny.  I actually looked forward to running into him because he was a shameless flirt and always made me laugh.

And then, the last time I ever saw him, he had a friend with him.  They sat down but the friend didn't speak any English. They were both from Iran -- this was a dozen years before 911, back when most people couldn't find it on a map.  In the middle of a conversation the friend started singing in Iranian (I assume).  My "friend" translated softly while he sang and it was all about how beautiful I was comparing me to the sun, moon, and stars.  At least that's what he said it was about.  It might've been about  barnyard animals for all I knew.

This always makes me uncomfortable.  Not that I've had all that many men sing to me.  But even when someone is being serenaded on TV, I get all squirmy and weird. I just don't know what to do with myself.  So while I'm sure this was meant as a romantic gesture, I couldn't keep myself from laughing.  I still kinda feel bad for ruining their moment. LOL.

So, tell me, what are you supposed to do when someone is singing to you? 

19 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

You have some great stories. I'm not sure what the right response is when someone sings to you.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Matthew Rush said...

I would probably have to run away. Especially if I was a young woman being serenaded by an Iranian thief on the Vegas strip.

Bish Denham said...

I've had the experience. On my 19th birthday Scott McKenzie (of If you're going to San Francisco be sure to wear a flower in your hair, fame) sang to me, his birthday present. I was in heaven. Today is his birthday by the way.

Angela Felsted said...

Smile, blush, and say thank you. Unless it's a creepy guy who gives you the eeeby jeebies, then you should run the other direction as fast as possible.

Katie Mills said...

If they're a good singer and can keep me entertained, I guess I'd have a naturally awed responce. IF it's weird cause I can tell they're really into it but they can't sing worth a lick and I'm uncomfortable, I'd do a math equation in my head, focus my eyes on them with a soft smile and nod solemnly:)

Clarissa Draper said...

I would consider it awkward as well.

I recently moved my computer to face out the window and the mountains. Well, I'm sitting here looking out my window to the field/park across the street. I'm watching two Mexican men walk with large metal ladder-like objects on their back (probably, children playground equipment). One guy's booting it down the hill and the other is having so much problems carrying it down the hill to the playground. Now they're hiking it back up to the top of the hill to get more pieces. Haven't they heard of a truck?

Ah, I know why they do it - for the bored writer's amusement.

Have a great week.
CD

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

It can be really awkward... especially is the boys singing-voice is NOT as good as he thinks it is! In the past, I have tried both avoiding eye contact and singing along as a way to ease the weirdness. Neither really worked though...

LTM said...

ergh. It's so uncomfortable. Even when JRM does it, I squirm. I don't know why. Singing just seems so personal! LOL! But I can completely see you down on the strip people watching. There's MUCH to see there~ ;p

aspiring_x said...

ha! i think it's awkward too! ummm... i'll ditto matt's answer!

Dawn said...

I would totally be uncomfortable! Sometimes my hubby sings to me - out of tune - and it makes me feel awkward if we're in public. I should think it's cute but...I'm not a fan of the attention. LOL

Danette said...

If I'm in the right mood I start singing too (if I know the words... of course the Iranian song would have been problematic). One night in college this one guy and I sang Endless Love out on the sidewalk because he started singing to me-- it was a bit awkward and rather than have him embarrass me in front of people I just joined in. It works if you don't mind singing I guess.

Jules said...

The only things that have serenaded me, well...

are my dogs responding to me attempting to sing :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss vicki! i didnt ever have someone sing to me but my mom and i liked it. when i was real sick i asked my brother to sing 3 little birds to me. hes a crummy singer. ha ha.
...hugs from lenny

Kimberly Franklin said...

I have no idea, but I would definitely feel very akward. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd struggle to keep criticisms to myself. (I've watched way too much American Idol!)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Hmm, that's a tough one. A friend of mine had a guy sing to her underneath our dorm room windows when I was at Uni. It would have been sweet if we hadn't been trying not to laugh. :)

p.s. Thank you for your card. Stupid late post means I've just got it, but it was a lovely surprise. Hugs.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, girl, have I got a story for you.... It's way, way, way too humiliating though. LOL. :-)

Nicole MacDonald said...

DON'T LAUGH!!

That's what I'd be thinking ;p

The Arrival, on Amazon NOW!
www.damselinadirtydress.com

Shannon said...

Dude, I know what you're talking about! I've had the unpleasant experience of having a Mariachi Band come over and play for me. Beet red! /shudder