Join the Madness

Monday, January 17, 2011

Mock Me Monday - Money Doesn't Grow on Trees

I've mentioned  before that we didn't have much money when I was growing up.  As a result, I always know how much cash I have at any given time.  Right now, I have NO cash because I spent it all on Rose Cooper's Gossip in the Girl's Room the other night.  As luck would have it I had exactly the right amount in my wallet.  Was that fate or what?

Despite knowing precisely how much money I have, I suffer from the fear of not having enough to pay for something.  I have recurring nightmares about getting up the register and not having enough to pay for my purchase.  This is one reason why I love debit cards!  When I used to go shopping, I never knew how much cash to take out. I wanted to have enough, but if I took too much I ended up spending it on stupid stuff. Now that I have a debit card, I always know I've got plenty--and if I don't buy anything I don't have that extra $20 bill mocking me from the confines of my purse.

Several years ago (before the debit card became ubiquitous), I had a purse that made money.


Seriously.

I first noticed it before a trip to McDonald's for lunch.  I dug through my purse and counted my cash, then hopped in the car.  I knew to the penny how much I had.  But when I got to the register to pay, I had an extra $5 bill. I was pleased, but puzzled.

After that incident, I discovered it happening all the time.  I would count my cash before going into a store, and then when I got to the register there would be anywhere from $1 to $5 extra.

I don't carry a lot of crap in my purse.  It drives me crazy if I can't find what I'm looking for. So, I carry a small purse and only keep the essentials:  A wallet with my credit/debit cards and driver's license, my car keys and whatever cash I have (neatly folded - bills all facing the same direction and sorted by denomination).  So the chances of me missing anything are pretty slim.


Eventually, I had to get rid of that purse.  And since then, I haven't found extra money once.  I can't explain what was happening, but I certainly enjoyed it while it lasted!

23 comments:

Al said...

oooh magic!

Jolene Perry said...

Awesome.
I used to not carry a bag or purse at all. I had a TINY inert from a man's wallet that I kept my license, credit card and bank card in. I haven't had cash since I stopped babysitting at 17 :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Oh, I want that purse!

I thought my wallet was doing the same thing, until I realized my husband was putting money in my wallet so I didn't have to worry about ATM fees. Not that I use cash. I always use my Visa (which is paid off each month since I'm not a shopoholic.) then I use the points to "buy" books.

Shannon said...

I can't believe you parted with the money making purse! =)

As far as your fear at the register...trust me - it sucks. I've actually done a full week's of shopping, gotten to the register, and realized I didn't have my wallet on me. It sucks.

aspiring_x said...

what reason could you possibly have for getting rid of that purse???!?!?!?!?
:)

Kristi said...

Seriously, I can't believe you parted with that purse!!! (And I'm very happy to know I'm not the only one who has to sort my cash-when I have it-and put it facing the same way and in ORDER).

I can't handle it otherwise.

Lydia K said...

I think the overwhelming question is...why did you get rid of the purse? You lost your golden egg-laying goose!

Jules said...

I think I would have kept the purse and put it in my new one. Just for emergencies you know :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

I need a magic money-producing purse! And, I wanted to thank you again for Peter McKay's book Welcome to the Nuthouse. It arrived over the weekend and I can't wait to read it. Thanks!!!

Angela Ackerman said...

I need a purse like that LOL!

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Clarissa Draper said...

I have a really bad memory. When I first got married, I would handle the finances in my household and when a bill came I would take cash and put the money away so that I wouldn't spend it on anything but the bills. Well, I would forget where I hid it, I would even forget that I hid money in the first place and we would always come up short but somehow pay the bills. Then weeks later I would stumble across the money and think I won the jackpot. Come to think of it, I still do that.

Bish Denham said...

Cool! Too bad you let the "golden purse," go.

Angela Felsted said...

Too bad you couldn't keep that purse forever!

LTM said...

girl! You'd better go get that purse back! What are you thinking??? And I can't wait to read your review of Gossip. I think that book and Rose are precious~ :o)

Diane J. said...

You gave up the purse?! What dumspster should I be diving in?

Okay, now that my heart has calmed (I can't believe you let the purse go) sounds like you were meant to read that book. Enjoy!

As for debit cards, my husband calls me by the last four digits of mine. As in, "I see 9710 has been busy today."

Kimberly Franklin said...

You got rid of your lucky money purse?? Are you crazy! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You had a bag of holding and didn't even know it! (Sorry, D&D term.)

Carolyn V. said...

I love the tiny purses! I know where everything is. But I never have any extra money. =( I need a lucky purse. =D

Stephen Tremp said...

It may not be a golden goos, but hey, maybe it had a mini wormhole in it and money would appear for you. It could happen.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Could you give us the name brand of that purse. I'm going to look for one.

erica and christy said...

I have a tiny, ugly purse that cost me something like $5. Other teachers I work with have those fancy, huge purses you can store a cat in and cost $100-300. Seriously, who's the smart one here? (erica is)
erica

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Why oh why did you get rid of your magic purse????

I pretty much buy cheap purses...Most are $40 and under....I think the most I've ever spent is $70 and it was for a travel purse (still using) that had a really long strap that crossed over your shoulder and had easy access to two different compartments....

annaliterally said...

Ah, well, that makes tons of sense. For years, I put money in my purse, and it would disappear. I always thought my husband was taking it...