Join the Madness

Monday, January 3, 2011

Mock Me Monday - M&Ms

First things first.  A HUMONGOUS thank you to everyone who participated in the Eye Candy Blogfest this weekend. It was so much fun seeing what everyone had posted.  Lots of fantastic pictures!  I will announce the winner of the (as-yet-undetermined) prize package tomorrow.

Now....on to Mock Me Monday:

A science teacher once made the off-hand remark that mental addiction could be just as powerful as chemical addiction. Being the curious sort, I decided to test his theory out.

I bought a big bag of M&Ms and every day at the same time I'd eat a handful - one at a time.  This went on for a few weeks. While I enjoyed indulging in my nightly ritual, I didn't feel the bonds of addiction creeping any closer.

So there I was one night, eating my ration of M&M's while chatting away with one of the local Disc Jockeys in between his on-air stints.  He playfully asked for some of my M&M's. I said I'd send him some.

He didn't take me seriously. He obviously didn't know me very well.

After we hung up, I grabbed a handful of M&M's and taped them to a sheet of notebook paper.  I drew arms and legs  and gave them all names.  A whole family of chocolatey goodness.

(This was way before the talking M&M's hit the TV.  I think they stole my idea. Just sayin'.)  

Then I cut out pictures of soap, toothbrushes, clothes, pillows/blankets, books, TV's, etc. Everything my candy people would need to travel.  Each item was described and explained in detail. I sealed it up and mailed it off to the radio station.

As luck would have it, I happened to be down at the station a few days later (either with my best friend who was dating one of the DJ's or to pick up my latest win, I don't remember), he came out of the booth between songs to thank me. He laughed and laughed when he got them. 

***************

What's your favorite M&M?  Peanut? Peanut butter? Those new coconut ones?  Me? I like the original chocolate ones best. MMMMM.

I used to sort them by color and eat whatever color I had the most of first.  Did you ever sort your M&M's?  Please say yes....I can't be the only one!



28 comments:

Mary Vaughn said...

People who sort and eat their M&Ms by color are said to be somewhat OCD. Just sayin'.
As for me, I sort the spicy jelly beans :o)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I like regular m & m's best. I like to sort them into color groups (yep, I said that out loud) and eat them by groups size.

Great story Vicki!

Meghan Schuessler said...

I love regular and peanut M&Ms. Sadly, I must admit I'm not a fan of the new pretzel M&Ms. I thought I would be, but I'm not.

Holly said...

Hubby's favorite is peanut and I love it when I get a goofed up one that's all chocolatey goodness inside!! Like the originals but BIGGER! MMMmmmm... I haven;t tried the coconut ones. Hmmm... ;p

Fuuny story with the DJ...

Lou Belcher said...

Peanut... great story...

Rachael Harrie said...

LOL, that's a pretty funny present to send (*chortles*). I like the chocolate ones the best. Never heard of coconut, most intriguing!

Happy New Year.

Rach

salarsenッ said...

I used to sort them by color, too! Um...I think my favorite would have to be peanut. Oh, and I really don't like the new ones with pretzels. Too dry.

puffalump1 said...

I share your habit of sorting by color Vick. Sometimes I make symmetrical designs. About a month ago one of the girls at work caught me arranging them and caught her breath. She walked away shaking her head, and I just bust up laughing.

Jessica Bell said...

There are coconut ones??? OMG I want! Damn ... I live in Greece where everything is backward ... :(

Justine Dell said...

PEANUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love those M&M commericials, don't you? I feel bad when I sit down to eat a bag.

HAPPY NEW YEAR VICKI!!

~JD

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So did you prove your theory?
And I like the peanut butter ones.

Carol Kilgore said...

I like the original ones. I didn't sort, but I always ate the brown ones last.

Bish Denham said...

Too funny. I think you must have had a lot of time on your hands...And yest I sorted my M & Ms and ate them in order of their color, yellow to dark brown.

Lydia K said...

Plain. Kidlet has peanut allergy so they are banned from the house. I give them evil looks when I see them in the store (for her sake).
:)

Dawn said...

My husband can eat an entire BIG bag in a single sitting - and not gain an inch or have one new pimple. He loves the peanut ones, which I suppose is good since those are not my fave and thus I can't be tempted. In Canada, we have Smarties (which I'm told are NOT the same as the Smarties in the US) and I tend to sort those by colour...and yes, I do eat the red ones last.

Clarissa Draper said...

That's so funny! I would have never thought to do that. My favorite is the plain chocolate but my husband eats a package of peanut M&Ms per day.
CD

Angela Felsted said...

Peanut for sure. How do you always have such funny stories? Are your manuscripts funny too?

Stina Lindenblatt said...

There's coconut ones??? I feel so deprived living in Canada.

Jules said...

LOL, I'm still picturing the traveling M & M's! Mine don't last long enough to get sorted but I like the dark chocolate ones :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Carolyn V. said...

That is awesome Vicki! =D

I LOVE the mnm's. LOVE THEM! The plain, the peanut, the coconut...Mmmm. That's why I can't have them hanging around the house. They are just too delish. =)

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss vicki! what you did sending those m an ms is sooo funny. for me i just like the plain ones. sometime i sort them and somethime i dont. it im just real hungry for them i suff a handful in my mouth. ha ha
...hugs from lenny

LTM said...

omg, you are so freakin hilarious, Vicki! I actually like the dark chocolate M&Ms, and if you'd like to mail me some, that would be a-OK... ;p xoxo

Katie Mills said...

Peanut M&M's totally rock my world. YOu were such an imaginitive teen! lol.

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

I HEART M&M's... I used to prefer peanut; lately I'm on the plain ones. You know what else is amazing? Peanut butter Snickers. Just sayin'.

I have to start keeping up with my reader -- I'm SO mad that I missed the Eye Candy Blogfest, though I have been posting a ton of baby pics lately... which make me smile every time I look at them, of course.

Kimberly Franklin said...

Oh... I Love M&Ms. My favorite are the peanut butter ones. Oh and the almond ones. Do they have those? I can't remember, but if they did I would love them too!

annaliterally said...

Too funny about mailing off the M&Ms! Sounds like something I would do!

My favorite M&Ms are the cherry. But they're really rich and I can only eat a few at a time. The almond ones are also wonderful--they need to come in bigger bags.

Julie Dao said...

That's a funny story! I was actually the green M&M for Halloween quite a few times as a kid :) I like original M&Ms best, and I'll eat any color!

Jen Daiker said...

THEY TOTALLY STOLE YOUR IDEA!!!! Stupid M&M creators!