Join the Madness

Monday, January 31, 2011

Mock Me Monday - Lost Keys

Originally I was going to share with you the snowman I made this weekend, but I haven't downloaded the pics and I'm too lazy to go scouring the house for the USB cord, so it'll just have to wait. 

I pride myself on very few things, but one of them is I never have to go in search of my car keys.  I always put them in my purse as soon as I'm done using them so I always know exactly where to look.

Well, there was that one time I slipped in the driveway at work and my office keys fell out of my purse without my realizing it.  There was a major panic the next day, and of course it had snowed like six inches in the interim.  What's worse is that my office keys are attached to a little canister of pepper spray so I was afraid Bossman would hit it with the snow blower and accidentally inundate himself with the pepper spray.

That had a happy ending, though. He saw the keys put them in the office and I collected them on Monday morning.

But a few years back, I was at work and could not find my car keys for anything.  I tore my purse apart, looked all over the office, my pockets, everywhere.  Could not find them anywhere.  I finally decided I'd go look in the car before I called my husband to give him the bad news.  Replacing those suckers is expensive...or so I've heard.  I've never actually lost them, remember?

I get to my car and I'm STUNNED.  I left them in the ignition...and the car had been RUNNING for the last 3 hours. One of my most mockable moments, I tell you.   Can you top it?

Be sure to swing by tomorrow I've got a box of goodies to give away!

20 comments:

Al said...

Nope I can't top that.
The closest I can get is I once had a key to a cabinet in my hand someone came to the front door. I put down the key to answer the door, I never found the key. I had to get a locksmith to cut a new one.

puffalump said...

Nope that's a good one. Brad did it once- Left his car running, locked. With the only key inside. It had been running several hours when I came home and found it. (He'd gone off with Dad somewhere) Expensive lesson.

Jessica Bell said...

ha! Wellll ... not about keys but ... I was once looking for my mobile phone (I'd just moved house). So I went to the landline phone to call it so I could hear the ring, but I couldn't remember my mobile number, so I looked in the phonebook in my mobile, which was in my hand, for my mobile number, still didn't realise I was holding it until I called it and it vibrated in my hand. LOL!

Jules said...

Can't top that but when you do lose them... I hope searching for them does not (like me) lead to numerous other things before you remember you are actually looking for your keys :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

aspiring_x said...

can't beat that! but when i was a senior in high school, i became the youth teacher at my church. at the beginning of our very first session, i locked my car keys in the trunk of the car- with all the supplies i needed for class. i didn't know what to do... until one of my students went and pushed the button under the dash that pops the trunk. i didn't know about that.

Hannah Kincade said...

I once tore my apartment apart looking for my keys because I was neglect to look in the one place I never put them at home...my purse. Touche.

Anne said...

Hahaha the pepper spray imagery was too funny. You left it running?!? I have dreams like that. You poor thing. ;)

Clarissa Draper said...

That's so funny! I've never left my keys in the ignition with the car running but I have left them in the car door, house door and ignition. Fortunately no one broke in.
CD

Justine Dell said...

OMGOSH! I am laughing so hard right now!!! I can't top that! I don't know who could. ;-) Hilarious!

~JD

LTM said...

Running??? omg. But I've heard of people locking their keys in the car while it was running before.

BIG hurry~ ;p

Bish Denham said...

HA! I once went into a store and when I came out I couldn't find my keys. I looked everywhere, scoured the store, couldn't find them. Returned to my car. Not only were the keys in the car with the motor running, I had locked myself out! Had to call hubby to come unlock the car. (It ran so smooth and quiet didn't realize I hadn't shut it off.)

L.A. Colvin said...

That's a good one. I'm a clutz and am slight scatterbrain. Yesterday I was eating dinner and ran out of my drink. I was talking to my husband and poured my tea into my plate instead of my cup that I was actually looking at. Maybe it's a writer thing. ;)

Lydia K said...

I feel like I've done something like that before but not the car...of course, I can't remember now...

Janet Johnson said...

Man, that would stink! I lost my keys for a week in my purse (yeah, maybe I should clean it out more often!

Jen Daiker said...

Holy toledo my friend that is some serious mistakage (yes, I'm making up words now). Wow. I wish I had something to top it, but alas I do not.

That just made my list of awesome things :)

Ann said...

Sounds like you took a page out of the book of my life. But I have never left my keys in the car ignition for three hours. You are the queen of Lost Keys!

Katie Mills said...

Oh god. Sounds like something I'd do! too funny.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You left them in the car with the engine running? You win!

Shannon said...

Wow. Not sure I can top that one, lol. Good thing you weren't on a hill! <3

Carolyn V. said...

lol! It was just one of those days. =)