Join the Madness

Friday, January 7, 2011

BLEEP This -- The Game

I thought we'd have a little fun today! Grab your WIP or your current read and pick a passage - any couple of sentences will do. Type it up.  Got it? Okay, now here's what you're gonna do:


Pick a number.  I'm going to pick 7.  So after every 7th word in my passage I'm going to insert a "BLEEP".  The results should be funny....let's give it a whirl, shall we?

This is from Nicholas Sparks' Dear John (page 78)  
(I asked daughterling to bring me a book and this is what she gave me)

I spent the rest of the day BLEEP surfing, or rather, trying to surf.  The BLEEP ocean had calmed overnight, and the small BLEEP swells were nothing to get excited about.  BLEEP making matters worse, they broke nearer to BLEEP shore than they had the day before, BLEEP so even if I did find a BLEEP few worth riding, the experience didn't last BLEEP long before the waves petered out.  In the BLEEP past, I might have gone to Oak BLEEP Island or even driven up to Atlantic BLEEP Beach, where I could catch a BLEEP ride out to Shackleford Banks in the BLEEP hope that I'd find something better.  Today, BLEEP I just wasn't in the mood.



Maybe I need to get out more, but that made me giggle.  
Whatcha got for me?

REMINDER:  The faaabulous Shannon has a new anonymous passage up for critique.  Some writer in the blogosphere is looking for your words of wisdom!  Hop on over and take a look.

16 comments:

Meghan Schuessler said...

LOL. Ya know what this reminds me of? When people open fortune cookies from the Chinese restaurants, and then add the phrase "in bed" to the end of the fortune ;-)

Saumya said...

Haha, so true Meghan!!

Jolene Perry said...

You just made me miss madlibs.

Theresa Milstein said...

Matched by Ally Condie. I'm breaking the rules and randomly inserting.

"His tone is bleep, but there is, and has been, something a little deeper and more bleep about his bleep. It has a slightly different bleep than most bleep. It's the kind of thing you forget until you bleep it again and remember Oh yes. His bleep has music."

aspiring_x said...

bleepin' censorship!

Jen Daiker said...

I loved this!!! I wish I had a book right now so I could insert it into the comments to share with you. But I'm at work. Boo!

Katie Mills said...

Beginning of Brown's 'The Lost Symbol'

The secret is how to BLEEP. Since the beginning of time, the secret has always been how to BLEEP. The thirty four year old BLEEP gazed down at the human BLEEP cradled in his palm. The BLEEP was hallow, like a bowl, filled with BLEEP.
Drink it, he told himself. You have nothing to fear.

Angela Felsted said...

It's a lot more interesting than the original, I'll give you that. :)

Carolyn V. said...

LOL! That's awesome! I'll have to try it. Hee hee.

Jules said...

LOL, that was fun. I wrote a post about "Bleep, Bleep." I'm so glad I found you, the laughs are great :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

PS Have you seen the pajama jeans?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I used to do something similar with song lyrics. Try substituting a word for another - slug for love, squirrels for girls, and so forth. Really adds depth!

The Golden Eagle said...

I love this! :D

Julie Musil said...

That WAS funny! I read that book (I'm a sappy Sparks fan) and wow, did that change the mood of the book.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Okay...I'll go with this. I'm reading a travel book on the Domincan Republic.

Though development may eventually cover every bleep inch of the Dominican Coastline, for now bleep there are still large areas of pristine bleep coastal plains and mangrove forests.

I think it sounds better with fiction....

Have a good weekend!

Susan Fields said...

Love it - how fun!

Clarissa Draper said...

This is so funny! I'm amazed how it fits.
CD