Join the Madness

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Battery Back Up

So this weekend, I saw a local home improvement store's advertisement on TV.  I usually don't pay any attention to these things, bur for some reason I noted that Energizer had been manufacturing batteries since 1905 and that got me thinking...

How the heck long have batteries been around?

I did some very cursory research, and discovered that some scientist invented the lead acid battery (popularly used as car batteries today) in 1859.  That got me thinking even MORE.

What would batteries have been used for in the late 1800's?  Flashlights weren't invented until 1902.  The first radio broadcast was 1900 or 1906 (I found conflicting sources). I find it hard to think it was just a scientist dabbling in the lab.  Surely there were applications for batteries, but I'm at a loss to think what they would have been.

So, do any of you super-scholarly people have any suggestions?  

9 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

cars and powering houses. I think. Maybe. I don't know. Try google, that guy knows everything...
It is something to ponder though...

Al said...

Initially they were used as a stable power supply for scientific experiments. For example Edison probably used batteries for his experiments on perfecting light bulbs.
With more experiments it was all on the up and up.

Mary Vaughn said...

This site has some very interesting info.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/when_was_the_battery_invented

Hope this eases things for you a bit.:)

Angela Felsted said...

Who knows? I should go check out the site Mary Vaughn put up.

Jules said...

Electro-shock therapy! Glad to know someone else gets a hair and has to pull it :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Carolyn V. said...

I had no idea they were made so early. They must have been before their time. =)

Katie Mills said...

clocks?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Perhaps for generators? Electricity was around at the time.

Shannon said...

Time traveling machines, of course. =p