Join the Madness

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

10 Things I'd Love To See


So, do you think you're up to another field trip through the dark cavernous reaches of my mind?  Here are 10 inventions/services/things I'd love to see:

1- A purse with a built in light (LED?) so you can see to the bottom.  'Nuf said.

2-Built-in blinds for car windshields.  I've been harping on this one for decades.  I hate those bulky cardboard sun screens.  The 'collapsible' wire-edged ones are a little better, but they're still sometimes a struggle to twist/turn back to it's original size.  I propose auto manufacturers build a sun screen into the side beam of the car at the edge of the windshield.  You'd simply pull it across (ooo or better yet, remote control!) like a sideways movie screen or window shade.


3-Solar powered Christmas lights.  I have icicle lights around my deck.  However, I have to use a huge extension cord because I only have one outlet outside.  BUT, if I had solar-powered Christmas lights I could put the charging stations wherever and plug lights into it.  I haven't checked, they may actually already exist (probably really expensive, though)

4-I don't wear heels, but I would buy shoes like this just because they'd be so COOL!  I'd love to see them with interchangeable heels.  Maybe one would be a metallic stiletto spike and another would be a chunky heel.  If they can make golf shoes with removable spikes, surely they can make shoes with removable heels.  I'd also love it if the heels could be different heights.  Don't know if that's possible, but it'd be awesome!

5-PLEASE, for the love of GOD, can't we have some sort of standardization for power / USB cords and connectors amongst our electronic devices?  I know that laptops, cell phones, and iPods take different levels of current, so we'll never get down to just ONE cord, but certainly they can make it so all phone cords are interchangeable and all laptop cords are interchangeable, etc.  Are you with me?

6-I'd like to see cable TV go ala carte. Let me order the flipping channels I WANT instead of picking and choosing from their packages.  Yes, this would probably mean no one would subscribe to CSPAN or Home Shopping, but isn't that what the open market is all about? Alternatively, they could charge me for what I actually watch (kinda like cell phones charging by the minute).  OR they could give me the option to pay for X hours a month and when I exceed that they cut me off.  Hubs probably wouldn't let me go for this option because he'd live in fear of exceeding his minutes during the quadruple overtime of some game. lol

7-This will never happen, I just love the idea.  I want a refill station for laundry detergent, dish soap, shampoo, etc. I would bring my plastic containers back into the store and just refill.  I love thinking how many stupid plastic containers we could save!

8-Electric / hybrid cars are all the rage.  Why haven't I seen the same technology in lawn care equipment?  Where is the hybrid riding lawn mower?  The battery powered snow blower and weed wacker?

9-I would LOVE the equipment at the gym to have a USB thumbdrive thingy where you could automatically track your workout details.  I would also LOVE it if there were a website where you could go and program your workout at home - save it to the thumbdrive and the machine would automatically run it once you plugged it into the machine.  I'm thinking about the cardio machines, but how cool would it be if the weight machines would also track how much weight you lifted and how many reps you did?  Of course the website would also graph your progress.

10-I would love to have a little sand dispenser attached to the bumper of my car for winter.  If you don't live in a cold/ice/snow region, let me tell you that intersections are generally the most hazardous.  I stopped at a traffic signal one winter and couldn't get any traction to get moving again once the light changed.  So frustrating/humiliating.  But if I'd had a little sand dispenser on the bumper, I could've pushed a button and it would have squirted a bit in front of the tires...instant traction.  Alternatively, how about redirecting some of the heater's hot air toward the pavement in front to melt the snow / ice while you're waiting for the light to change?  It'd make me happy...

What things would YOU like to see?

22 comments:

puffalump said...

They DO make solar-powered twinkle lights-I was looking into them about a year ago for the back yard

Mary Vaughn said...

Vicki, honey, there are purses with lights, solar outdoor lights and battery operated lawn equipment.
I am with you on the cord things and the sand dispenser and heat aim thing.

Al said...

You are definitely a genius!

Bish Denham said...

These are actually some GREAT ideas. I particularly like #7 because I hate plastic.

Candyland said...

I'm all over a light in my gigantic purse. Digging around in that thing is like fumbling in the dark with my high school boyfriend. I never know what I'm going to grab.

Jen Daiker said...

I love how your mind works and I would be that crazed woman who is out buying the purse with the light inside just so I can see the bottom. Though I'm sure by th end of the day I would no longer see the light.

aspiring_x said...

great ideas! i particularly like the sand one!

Hannah Kincade said...

I pretty much agree on all of these things. Omg, I have so many cords coming from my laptop sometimes. There has got to be a better way!

Saumya said...

WOW...I need a light in my giant purse. I can't ever find anything!!

Dan said...

I would sign a petition, do sit-ins, even handcuff myself to something to make #5 happen.

Also, how about a regular old coffee mug, but whose base is a battery-powered, low-intensity hot plate? I can't drink lukewarm coffee. It'd be nice if the coffee always stayed as hot as when I first pored it.

Clarissa Draper said...

You know how they have the bins in the supermarket so you can just scoop some raisins or sometimes they have the dog food dispensers? Well, why couldn't they have a booth of chemical dispensers. If they're worried about the mess or danger, have an employee dispense.

CD

Matthew Rush said...

A removable heel would make a great weapon for ass kicking.

And we've been begging for a la carte cable for decades, but it will never happen because of big business, and congress.

Carolyn V. said...

Wow Vicki. Those are all ingenious! I love the soap dispenser and you can't beat the heel thing.

I would love a self cleaning house. That's all I ask for. =)

Mason Canyon said...

I so love #1, #6 and #7. If only.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Julie Dao said...

AMEN to everything!! You should remove this blog post immediately and start working on some of these ideas. You could get a patent and be rich!!!

Tara said...

Lots of great ideas (though a few do exist ;) ), but number 5? Brilliance. I can't even count the ridiculous number of unidentifiable cords lying around in drawers. It's, well, ridiculous!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Laundry refill and power cord coordination would be great. But then how would the cell phone companies sell you all the extras that go with a new phone.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

You are freaking brilliant! I want #1 and #3 and #5 and #6 and....

The Golden Eagle said...

I completely agree with #1, #3, and #8.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

How about a solar powered snow blower?
Oh, wait...

Stephen Tremp said...

You should patent these ideas then get started on a few of them. I can see you on TV now with that annoying ShamWow! guy selling your products for millions. Don't forget about us when you hit the big time!

Julie Musil said...

Vicki, you are a genius! I LOVE the light in the purse idea. Awesome. You should make one. Haven't you heard of women who create these unusual things and make buckets of money? That is a golden idea.