Join the Madness

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Happy Birthday Potty!

My son is a curious boy.  This past Sunday, I was sitting on the couch happily typing away on my MS, when he called to me from the bathroom.  "Mom! I want to see inside!" Being a limited number of things with an inside to look at, I hurried to the bathroom before he decided to help himself.

Turns out he wanted me to lift the lid off the toilet tank.  Then he said, "How does it work?"  

So I wiggled the handle and showed him how the handle was attached to a chain that was attached to a rubber flap that held the water in. 

We flushed it, and I showed him where the water went out and where it came in fresh to fill it back up.  

I showed him the float that knew when there was enough water in the tank.

Fascinating, right?

Then he pointed to a line engraved in the side, "What's this?"  I told him that was the water line, the highest we should let the water go.

Then he pointed to another engraving near the top edge.  "What's this?"

I looked and I burst out laughing.  It was a date...the date the toilet was made, to be precise. And it read December 5, 1990....which meant it was my toilet's 20th birthday!  What are the chances that we would discover this ON the actual date??  

To celebrate, he and I stood there and sang happy birthday to our potty. 

We totally did.  I couldn't make this stuff up.  

So....go on now...go check your toilet tanks and let me know when YOURS was born.


*******************************************************************
REMINDER:
EASIEST BLOGFEST AROUND
EYE CANDY BLOGFEST JANUARY 1
*******************************************************************

20 comments:

Saumya said...

Haha, yayyy! Happy belated to your toilet ;)

Janet Johnson said...

I am laughing so hard at this moment! I LOVE it! Happy birthday to your toilet :)

aspiring_x said...

hahahhAHAHAHAHhhAHAHHAHA!!!!
i LOVE your family! :)
love your blogfest idea!
now to put it in my sidebar...

Dawn said...

This is one of the cutest stories I have ever read. I love this. And you should SO use this in a piece of future writing. Love it!

Angela Ackerman said...

Bwahahhaaaa...okay, you are officially my Hero-mom. LOL, that's a moment you will never forget!

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Angela Ackerman said...

And because I'm so nerdy, I had to look-- Feb 13, 1996. LOL

LTM said...

omg, Vick. Too much... Hang on. OK, it's not there. Thanks. ;p

Meghan Schuessler said...

I'm too lazy to get off the couch & check. Plus, mine is just a rental toilet ;-)

Happy birthday to yours!

Carolyn V. said...

LOL!!!! That is awesome. =D My toilet doesn't have a date. What does that mean?

Kimberly Franklin said...

LOL. That's classic. :)

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss vicki! you got me laughing so much. i gotta tell you for sure i didnt ever sing happy birthday to our toilet. ha ha. i love all those cool stories you tell about your life. its just way lots more fun than made up stuff.
...hugs from lenny

Angela Felsted said...

You are so funny!

The Golden Eagle said...

LOL. That's hilarious . . .

Happy Birthday to your toilet. :P

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Tell your son if he really wants to know how one works, he can help me change out the plumbing next time ours dies!

Nicole MacDonald said...

*lol* seriously I do wonder about you lot sometimes *grin*

BirthRight The Arrival, on Amazon 1.1.2011
www.damselinadirtydress.com

Julie Musil said...

OMG that is soooo funny! I had no idea there were dates on our toilets. A big thanks to your son for helping the rest of us learn this fascinating information!

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

aww. Even toilets need a birthday. Here is to hoping your son never stops being curious. :)

Shannon said...

lol you kill me. =)

Susan Fields said...

Happy birthday to your potty! I actually went and checked. My potty's birthday is March 9, but I couldn't find a year.

Jennifer Becton said...

That is the funniest thing I've read lately! Your son obviously has the knack, and that means a future engineer. Look out.

I'm going to check out your blogfest details. I'm totally into that stuff.

And thank you for putting my book on your blog. It's such an honor to see it there.