Join the Madness

Monday, November 1, 2010

Mock Me Monday - The Wedding

Good morning!  I'm glad to be back.  I enjoyed sharing the ghost stories, but it's good to get back to my usual nonsense.  

I had a fairly active imagination as a kid.  It came in handy when we were living in a small town (population 250).
This was before cell phones, before cable (or remote control) TV, we didn't have a microwave or air conditioning.  No CD players either.  It was all about the simple pleasures...kick ball games in the street, hide and seek at dusk and sleepovers with friends. 

One friend spent the night, we were in 6th or 7th grade.  My dad let us play with his tape recorder.  We hid it in rooms to spy on my brother and nephew.  We did silly interviews.  And then we staged a wedding - an elaborate affair - between my stuffed cat and her stuffed elephant.  I had a bride doll with a music box in the base.  It played the wedding march, so we tape-recorded the whole event.  The ceremony was presided over by my stuffed dog, Dooper.  I even fake-trumpeted for the elephant's vows.  

The whole thing probably took 10-15 minutes...which doesn't seem that long when you're setting it all up.  But to my poor family who was forced to sit an listen to the audio insanity in its entirety, that ten minutes becomes an eternity.  My friend and I were in hysterics each time we played it back.  We clearly thought we were (haha, pardon the pun) the cat's meow.  

My family must really love me, because not once did they tell me they were too busy, that the recording was dumb, or anything else.  We didn't live in a big house, so I'm sure my Mom probably heard the playback at least four or five times.

Later that night, we thought it'd be funny to prank my brother who had a friend over, too.  We laced the room with string and sprinkled chocolate chips all over the place.  My brother woke up around 2 a.m. howling.  The chocolate had melted and he thought he was bleeding to death.  

We hadn't even thought about the chocolate melting.  Left a big brown stain on his friend's shirt.  We felt really bad about that....but it was hysterical that my brother thought he was dying.

********

Barring any computer or family emergency, I will post the entries I received for the Worst Day Ever Contest tomorrow.  If you haven't sent me your entry, get it to me before 8:00 p.m. Central time.  MissVSpeaks(at)gmail(dot)com




5 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Yes, your family must be wonderful indeed! And how very creative you are! :0)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Hey, aren't you like in the logline blogfest????? ;)

Okay, that's too funny about your brother and the melting chocolate.

Stephen Tremp said...

I certainly had an over active mind as a kid. I'd stare out the window at school and imagine all kinds of epic battles taking place on the playground. I think this really helps writers as they write new stories and develop new characters.

Ann said...

Did a little giggle as I imagined your brother howling with the fright! LOL

aspiring_x said...

i think that childhood was probably much more fun before all the tech of today. :) you were too cute!