Join the Madness

Monday, November 8, 2010

Mock Me Monday - Walk of Shame

Let me say right off the bat I'm not talking about *that* walk of shame.  

Uh, no.  

Have never had the opportunity.  Read into that what you will.  Hope you're not too disappointed...now, can we get on with my real shame?

Years ago, I lived in Vegas and worked as a receptionist/admin in a law office.  There were two attorneys and since they were just starting out, I was the only support staff.  Needless to say there was a LOT of paperwork involved.  Requesting medical records, drafting complaints and answering interrogatories (ahem, a fancy legalese way of saying 'questions'), my favorite (please insert sarcastic eyeroll here) was making copies of all the documents in the file and typing up a list of each item.  These lists were often several pages long.  Lotsa fun.

I would often go into the office early because I could get more done in the hour before we opened than I could the rest of the morning.  Once that phone started ringing, all bets were off.

I didn't drive back then.  Once in awhile my dad or future hubs would give me a ride, but most days I took the bus.  It wasn't so bad.  The bus stop was only 3 or 4 blocks from our apartment, and stopped a block from work.  

One day, I had a whole lot of work to do, so I left the house at 6, to catch the 6:15 hoping to get 2 hours of solid work in before the phones started.

I got to the bus stop in good time.  I had a few extra minutes to kill, so I paced the sidewalk hoping when I turned to retrace my steps I'd see the bus in the distance.  

And that's when I noticed it.  

I had on mismatched shoes: one black and one navy blue pump.  

ACK!

When I find a basic wardrobe staple I really like I go back to the store and get it in another color.  Thus I had identical shoes in navy and black and so when I had gotten dressed in the near-dark that morning, I hadn't noticed the difference.

Soooo, I trudged back to the apartment to change my shoes (missed the bus...wouldn't be another one until 7:15) and ended up getting to work about my normal time.  

Argh.  

All this reminds me of another story from that office...involving the police, hahaha.  I'll save that for next week!



LAST CHANCE to vote!  I'm posting winners tomorrow!!!

20 comments:

Bish Denham said...

I can see how something like that could easily happen. Navy and black are so close. But do you think anyone would have really noticed?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've done that with socks, but never shoes! You should've just stayed the course and seen if anyone noticed.

Clarissa Draper said...

That's why I never buy shoes! ;) I'm not a buyer of shoes and so all my shoes look very different but I would be super frustrated if that happened to me.

CD

Carolyn V. said...

Oh no!!! At least you caught it before you go to work! I've done that, but only once. Once was enough. =)

Jolene Perry said...

That's awesome.
I probably would have wore my mismatched shoes all day. That's way too much work and those buses can be creepy...
Though, not as much that time of day.

Creepy Query Girl said...

lol! You're better than I am. If it was a small office I woulda just gone anyway.

Steena Holmes said...

Girl - you WON the logline blogfest!!!! Congrat's! Come on over to see the results!

www.steenaholmes.blogspot.com

Talli Roland said...

Haha! I've never done that, thank goodness! :)Yes, I've put on mismatched socks but never shoes.

Jen Daiker said...

Oh my gosh I've never done that, thank goodness! How crappy, and I have never bought the same pair of shoes in different colors so if I make a mistake I'd be a huge idiot. No excuses.

I'm with Talli, mistmatched socks, yes, mistmatched shoes, never... they say never say never.

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Oh no! I was thinking about the mismatched shoes thing the other day. It sounds like something I would do. lol.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Huge congrats on your logline - not that I'm surprised at all that you won! :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Hey, Vicki! Congrats to you on the logline contest - woo-hoo!! :-)

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I guess I'll show my total innocence in that I have no idea what walk of shame you meant!

L'Aussie said...

Well I think you just should have gone withit and acted blase. You would have felt wicked all day!

Congrats on the logline you! Great work!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I'm always wearing odd socks. What's bad is I'm the one who does the laundry and pairs them up???

Theresa Milstein said...

Funny! That's one of my worst fears. As a teacher, I'd never hear the end of it if I wore mismatched shoes.

LTM said...

argh!!! I did the whole black skirt w/navy tights once. GAH!!! I'm not sure, but that might be worse... :D lol!

No, they're equally embarrassing~ <3 U!

Shannon said...

At. Birth.

I've done the exact same thing. I had an identical pair of Nine West shoes in black and Navy and mixed them up. My shame was a tad worse - I was on a flight to Chicago to conduct a 2 day training session. I had to buy new shoes. /blush

Olivia J. Herrell said...

Haha. I can so relate. I actually made it to work one day like this and couldn't go home to change. Amazingly, no one even noticed until I had to open my mouth and point it out. Good thing I wear my pant legs reeeally long. Thankfully for you there was time to turn around and change. :)

Great post, that rebel, Olivia

notesfromnadir said...

Getting dressed at that hour I can easily understand the mistake!