Join the Madness

Monday, November 29, 2010

Delerium & Intruders

BAD Blogger.  Baaaaaaaad Blogger!


Knowing I had family coming to town and being the responsible blogger I am, I scheduled posts for both Saturday and Sunday.  Imagine my surprise when I logged on a bit ago and discovered that NEITHER of them actually published.


Grrrr.


Somehow they reverted from "scheduled" to "drafts" so while I was cooking for, chatting with, and cleaning up after family nothing happened.  


Ahhhh, c'est la vie.  Let's get on with Mock me Monday, shall we?

The last time I had the flu, I'd been up all night -- as often happens with the flu.  Anyhow, the next day my husband took the kids off to the mall so I could get some real sleep in peace.  (What a guy, huh?)

I had the TV on, but I kept dozing off so I didn't manage to finish a single episode of anything.

Ocean's 13 came on (love those movies!), but sure enough I dozed off before I got to watch much of it.  I guess I was out about a half hour when I heard a noise in the house.  I struggled to wake myself up.  I needed my wits about me if I was going to get out of this in one piece. 

First, I listened to make sure it wasn't part of my dream.  Nope, I heard it again and I was definitely awake.  I glanced at the clock - still too early for hubs to be back with the kids. That could only mean one thing:

SOMEONE WAS IN THE HOUSE!


I imagined him downstairs, rifling through the desk drawers just inside the garage door, or rummaging through my underwear drawer (the sicko).  He MUST be stopped! 

I tried to think.  Should I fake sleeping?  Should I hide?  What was he after?  We didn't have anything worth stealing really.  Yeah, we had a couple TV's, but they're the old fashioned big, boxy things that weight about 2 tons.  We keep talking about getting a flat screen, but it hasn't happened yet.  

We also have a couple dead computers hiding downstairs.  One of these days I'm going to take them in to the computer guru and get the data transferred to an external hard drive.  Yeah, it's been about 3 years but I still think I'll get around to it one of these days weeks months sometime.  

So while they were easier to make off with than one of our televisions, he wouldn't be getting much since the mother board is dead on the one and the other one is being suffocated by viruses.


I tried to think.  Where was my phone...could I call 911?  Should I? I didn't want the intruder to discover he wasn't alone.

I snuck a peek across the room, heart pounding, and discovered the source of the footsteps:  it was the movie. One of the characters was walking across the screen.

On the one hand, I was greatly relieved that my outdated electronics were safe for another day, but on the other hand, I felt like a dolt for letting a movie freak me out.  See why I don't do slasher movies? hahahaha


12 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

Ha! Good One!
My kids left a movie on one time when my husband was out of town, I didn't notice it until way after I put them to bed. Freaked me out.

N. R. Williams said...

I don't do horror at all, for much the same reason.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We'd still be peeling you from the ceiling if it'd been a slasher flick!

Jen Daiker said...

No scary movies for me while there is no one at home. I can't handle the scare factors by myself... I'm very paranoid!!!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I've had problems with Blogger doing that, too. Now I get up at 5 am (when my post is scheduled to go up) just to make sure it has been posted.

I haven't watched a slasher movie since last year . . . as research. ;)

notesfromnadir said...

I can feel your sense of relief!

Oh, & thanks for reminding me about getting the old computer's contents transferred to the external hard drive!

LTM said...

omg--BAH!!! :D

love the rifling through the underwear drawer. And girl! Get rid of those outdated electronics, now~

you so funny. <3

Dawn said...

Sadly, even after an experience like this, I would probably still love slasher movies :-) I'm sick like that. Fun post. Don't worry about the weekend - blogger can be fickle sometimes!

The Golden Eagle said...

Blogger does things like that; it's so frustrating!

I get terrified after seeing anything scary . . . LOL.

Raquel Byrnes said...

So funny that I'm not the only skittish person around. Glad everything turned out to be nothing. =)
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Ed Pilolla said...

very funny:)

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Still my scariest moment ever:
I was in college and we had just watched The Exorcist in the lounge. I hadn't quite got over the whole movie when I wandered back to my room, opened the door, turned on the light and...

Across the room, a teddy bear sat on my bed, looking at me. It spoke in a deep male voice. I shrieked and jumped about 4 feet in the air -- turned around, started to run the other direction, and collided with my roommate.

She sensibly pointed out that the window behind Teddy was open, and the deep male voice had come from the street. Phew.