Join the Madness

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Another Question

While taking daughter to school the other morning, we saw a big ol' black bird (maybe a crow, maybe a raven, maybe a blackbird...how do you tell the difference anyway?) on the shoulder of the road nipping away at a squished rabbit or squirrel or something.

And I got to thinking...

...as I do.


How is it that birds can eat all manner of roadkill and not be adversely affected by it but if a human were to eat the same thing we'd be in for a heckuva icky bathroom incident and possibly even death?


Okay, I know we're entirely different species.  But is there something about their digestive systems or immune systems that allow them the luxury (please note sarcasm) of eating carrion?


Also, I'd like to mention that I'm NOT jealous of them or anything.  I have no desire to eat squished rabbits and squirrel.  I actually have no desire to eat delicately roasted members of the rodent family either.  


Really, though, why is it this crap doesn't kill birds?


On another completely unrelated note 

(or maybe related in a really strange way)


Voting for the Worst Day Ever Contest closes tomorrow, so get those votes in!  Here's a handy dandy hyperlink, cuz I'm nice like that

9 comments:

Manzanita said...

Birds and animals must be born with this great immune system. I make my dog's food and one dish that I freeze is in the form of a stew. If I drop a piece of veg. on the floor I toss it and then I think, what am I doing? My dog licks crumbs from the floor, chews on bones that have been outside forever and sniffs butts with other dogs. And I worry about a piece of her food on the floor.

Nicole MacDonald said...

super amazing immune systems - has to be it!

www.damselinadirtydress.com

The Golden Eagle said...

I think they have stronger stomach acids that kill the germs, bacteria, etc. We might be able to dissolve some things in our stomachs, but not all the germs that an animal like a bird can.

Clarissa Draper said...

That's a good question. I'm kinda glad we can't eat anything we want. How uncivilized we would be. When you started the post I thought you were going to talk about the movie "The Birds".

Have a great Sunday.

CD

Dawn said...

Yup. Must be the immune system.

Nicole Zoltack said...

I think it deals with dogs and their helpful bacteria in their stomach. We all coexist with good bacteria in our digestive tract but I think their flora is different enough from ours that it allows them to eat things that would make us sick.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Same with birds.

Jemi Fraser said...

I don't have a clue - but it is creepy!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I'm glad I read your post way after dinner and after our ride on Harley today...(road kill...ick)

I know that Ravens live in Arizona. I'm not sure where else you'd find them. It seems like they are quite a bit bigger than crows and there is something about their coloring...