Join the Madness

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Worst Day Ever Contest


A lot of people fight getting older. They hold onto their youth with everything they got.  They buy creams and vitamins and serums to try to maintain the look and feel of youth.

Not me.

I don't care about aging. In fact, I kinda hope I DO get those little smiley lines by my eyes.  What a wonderful way to honor a lifetime of smiles!

Today is my 40th birthday. I've been looking forward to this day for a long time. 10-10-10.  How flipping COOL is that?

I think we need to celebrate. Are ya with me?

I tossed ideas around for a bit, but decided finally to do a WORST DAY EVER contest.  (Heavy on the sarcasm there)

pic pilfered from: http://www.famousmonstersoffilmland.com/gatekeeper-is-coming/




To enter, just tell me about the WORST POSSIBLE DAY EVER.  Make it my day, your day, make it Great Aunt Ida's day, I don't care.  Make it all up.  Zombies? Apocalypse?  Kidnapped by aliens? Have fun!

For example:

Perhaps you were running late from a hellish day at work on your way to see your significant other for dinner in a last ditch effort to save the relationship.  You had to drop a package off in the FedEx box first but you accidentally dropped your car keys in there...and of course your car was locked because you left your purse (and cell phone) in the car...

By the time FedEx came to pick up the packages (and your keys), your relationship was toast and so you go to the bar to drown your sorrows, but you have one too many and head to the bathroom to hurl it all back up...only you make a wrong turn and end up in the alley where you are attacked by zombies who want to use you as Primary Breeder in their evil plot to take over the world.


Or maybe you can come up with a day that's even worse?

Here's the rules (cuz I'm a control freak and want to make ya jump through hoops...or maybe because y'all function better with a little structure)

#01.  Please be a follower.  I don't ask that you build a shrine in my honor (though that's not a bad idea...), or name a library after me (again, not a bad idea...) just lend me your icon by clicking "follow".

#02.  Comment below.  This will get you one automatic entry. 

#03.  For bonus entries (10), EMAIL me (in 500 words or less) about the WORST DAY EVER.  I'm not looking for anything formal here.  Use bullet points for all I care.

#04.  That's it.  Just three rules, but I added #4 because it's like 40 backwards.  

On or about October 20th, I will post the top 10 entries (because what's the date we're celebrating?  10-10-10!) and YOU (yes YOU) can vote on your favorite.  


Can't you just feel the excitement crackling in the air?  Send your demented entries to: MissVSpeaks(at)gmail(dot)com.

PRIZES:
(I almost posted this without listing the prizes!  DUH.)


- $40 cash or gift certificate to wherever.  Why $40 and not $50?  Well, if you were paying attention you would know it's because I'm turning 40 not 50.


- Copy of Brains by Robin Becker.  It's all about zombies so I couldn't resist adding it to the mix.  I also have a bit of Zombie Blood and a Zombie finger/sucker I picked up in New York to sweeten the deal.  

So, Follow--Comment--Write.  


EDITED TO ADD:  Feel free to flex your imaginations and make up the worst day ever.  Y'all will make me cry if you keep telling me real stories.....

21 comments:

SiNn said...

well im already a follower so im totally in!

will send a email in alil bit

Mason Canyon said...

Just wanted to wish you a wonderful and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Carole Anne Carr said...

Couldn't possible enter, my worst days would make your hair stand on end and stop you from sleeping... hugs.

Bish Denham said...

Now THAT is a COOL birthdate!
And I'm gonna have to think about this one. Surely I can come with SOMEthing terrible!

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss vicki! im sending you a real big happy birthday right here and i did a email to you this morning. i hope you have the most fun birthday ever. that contest sounds fun and i want to be in it. that first example you did got me laughing. for sure thats a bad day. ha ha. i gotta think about what i could write for a bad day. i like that the winner gets decided right on my birthday! :)
...hugs from lenny

Linda Henderson said...

First of all, Happy Birthday!!! I always say, we aren't getting older, we're getting better. I'll email you my worst day.

Theresa Milstein said...

Happy birthday 10/10/10 - that is totally cool! Welcome to the 40 club. Not that I'm in it or use serums or anything.

I'm a follower and I'm commenting! My camped and confused post was my worst day ever. At least my worst day ever that's funny in retrospect. My real worst day ever is a tear-jerker and you don't want to hear it.

I'll revise my camp story in under 500 words and e-mail you.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My worst day was my 21st birthday, but I'll refrain from entering the contest as I am not repeating that story to anyone!

Happy birthday, Vicki!

Melanie Sherman said...

This sounds fabulous. Happy birthday first of all. Second, I'm already a follower, but if I weren't I would be now. And I'd love to enter your contest except I tend to fictionalize my bad days to make them even worse. I think it comes from torturing my characters as much as possible. Then we'd have an "OPRAH" type of problem if you selected mine. :)

LTM said...

Happy B'day, Miss V!!! We were talking earlier about whether anyone was turning 10 today... I'm sure somewhere~ :o)

I had a ridiculous night the other night involving my daughter spilling water on her lamp (boom!), tears; me accidentally setting off the house alarm (BAM!), more tears; then my other daughter barfing...

Oh, and JRM was in Montana at the time. LOL--at that point, I sat down & cried~ ;p

Mary said...

Vicki - great idea and I can't wait to read them but I don't have the time right now to participate. :(
Stop by and find a little fun something for you.
Mary

aspiring_x said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!
(what an awesome magical number you have going on for this one!!!)
- don't enter me (i've had too good of luck and won a buncha prizes lately, and don't wanna be a prize hog!- even though your contest is divine- porcelain god divine)
:)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Hmm. Time to get my brains a thinking. :)

annaliterally said...

This is a great idea! I love it! I'll e-mail you my worst day ever.

J said...

I'm liking this idea and I like the prizes involved :D Okay, I'll email you the worst day ever in a bit. Wooty-woot!

notesfromnadir said...

Wishing you a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope it was wonderful!

Candyland said...

I'm sending to you now! Happy belated birthday!!!!

Nicole Zoltack said...

Happy belated birthday!

Janet Johnson said...

How did I miss this? Aack . . . worst days ever are my specialty! Better get typing. :)

Janet Johnson said...

Oh, and Happy belated birthday!

Angela Ackerman said...

I'm so sorry I missed your birthday! Hugs and belated wishes! I think you have the right attitude about aging--I could care less about age. :)

My worst day...the time I flooded my holidaying neighbor's backyard by accident by leaving the watering hose all night? The time I noticed my neighbor left her garage door open after she left in the car and I closed it, locking her out of her house (and then I had to help her break in?) Or, the time I found a cat that looked like my neighbor's cat, brought it over to her house only to find out it wasn't, and it ran inside, bunkered down in her bathroom sink and transformed into a fiery, hissing hell cat that refused to be removed?

Ah, memories. :) It's a dangerous thing, being my neighbor. And yes, these were all different neighbors. I think God puts opportunities to be neighborly into my path just to see how I'll screw it up...

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse