Join the Madness

Thursday, October 7, 2010

NYC - Wrap Up


First, if you're planning a trip into NYC anytime soon, let me recommend the Radio City Apartments.  It's a smaller / older hotel, but the people there were really friendly, it's right in the heart of everything AND it's significantly less expensive than the other name-brand hotels in the area.  Win-Win-Win!


































Just your standard hotel room except....


















...it has a kitchen!  So maybe you aren't gonna want to cook while on vacation, but this is still great for popcorn at night or stashing leftovers or stocking up on soda/water/beer/wine/whatever.



















Plus, it's located a block from Simon & Schuster & McGraw Hill.  






Our first night in the city, we were coming back from Times Square, and were almost to our hotel when we noticed a man doubled over on the sidewalk. He was on a slip of cardboard, forehead on the sidewalk.  Obviously he was praying to Mecca.  That in itself isn't amusing.  What struck me as funny (and I really wish I'd taken a picture) was that there was a huge bag of garbage right by his head, so it LOOKED like he was worshiping the bag of trash.  I know better of course, but I can't figure out why he didn't move his slip of cardboard over a few feet in either direction to avoid the garbage altogether.


At the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I fell in love with this stained glass window.  It's called Autumn Landscape and I believe it's by Tiffany.  Gorgeous, gorgeous, a thousand times gorgeous!




























And when we were strolling through Central Park, I saw this guy.  Pity I didn't catch more:


video



We also saw a funny off-Broadway show called Tales from the Tunnel - true stories from the subway.  I laughed my butt off.  They threw a few in 911 stories in there, so then I was crying.  But overall, a GREAT time.

Tomorrow - Crackpot Confessional. 

20 comments:

N. R. Williams said...

That stained glass truly is beautiful. I'd like to use it as a door into that world.
Nancy
You're invited to a Halloween party. Come on over and check it out.
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Jolene Perry said...

How FUN!
My kids want to go but only because of the museum movies...

Nicole MacDonald said...

I want to go to that fabric store they show on Project Runway - Moods - I wanna cuddle with Swatch!
And what is that guy doing??

www.damselinadirtydress.com

Carole Anne Carr said...

Yes, it does sound like a great time! Loved the window, looking a bit like the American artists' version of the Art Nouveau movement? And weren't you lucky with your choice of hotel.

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like a great trip. Love the video.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

aspiring_x said...

i'm glad you had such a blast!!! and gorgeous is SO right!!!

Shannon said...

I love this wrap up. It makes me want to go to NY again! So glad you had a great time!

Bish Denham said...

Oh man! Obviously you had a wonderful time! I am soooooo envious.

Carolyn V. said...

Wow, the stained glass window is beautiful! I so want to go to NY. =)

Carol Kilgore said...

Love NYC. I miss it. Glad you had fun.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

I want to go to NYC! What a cool place to stay. And what adventures you had. That guy in Central Park? Classic. Everyone should see something like that while in NYC.

Clarissa Draper said...

It looks like you had a lovely time! I want to visit those places you talked about and your hotel room looked fabulous.

Glad you had a great trip!

CD

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looks like a fun time!
Yeah, I'd avoid the impression I was worshipping garbage, too.

Slushpile Slut said...

LOL about the guy seeming to worship the garbage...too funny. And the guy doing the electric slide, I think in Central Park was funny too! Glad you had a good time and can't wait to hear your LOL stories!! :)

LTM said...

love it--and sounds like you had a fab time! I stayed at Gramercy Park hotel and it was quaint/inexpensive... but no kitchen! So Radio City wins~ :o)

Jen Daiker said...

How fun!!! I'll keep that in mine if I ever visit!!! Fantastic pictures!! Praying to the garbage, that's a new one!

Christauna Asay said...

So jealous. Sounds like such a fun time!

Oh, and I left you an award on my blog. You can go there to receive it.

Little Ms J said...

I got in so much trouble when I took a picture in MOMA. The security guard did not find my antics so cute! Your trip looks like it was awesome!

Julie Musil said...

I love having a kitchen in a hotel room! I'm cheap and always bring my own snacks and breakfast goodies. I like my chocolate cold, thank you very much.

And that stained glass is beautiful! I've never been to NYC and I soooo want to. Hopefully I won't see anyone worshipping garbage, but you never know!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Ummm, why didn't I get an invite on this trip? I think I'm the closet blogger around...(Sharon crosses arms and huffs out of the room.)




Okay, that was creepy...I was talking to you like I was my last Principal...

I'm glad you had such a good time. :)