Join the Madness

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

NYC - The Strand

Friday morning, the remnants of Tropical Storm Nicole hit New York City with a vengeance.  I was a little concerned about the lunch getting canceled.  The trusty NYC news crews were scattered across the viewing area, letting me know there was lots of flooding, but the worst of it missed Manhattan.

Whew.

Originally my sis & I were going to go to lunch and then head across the street to The Strand Bookstore.  EIGHTEEN miles of books on three levels -- *wipes drool from chin*.  Since it was drizzling, we opted to go to the Strand first.   




I pilfered this pic off the internet.  It was raining, remember?

Okay, so that's a cool enough exterior, but you wanna see some bookage, don't you?  

Check THIS out! 2.5 Million new, used, & rare books.

AKA Heaven

Should you find yourself in NYC someday, just plan to spend a DAY here.  You won't be sorry.


We eventually pried ourselves out of the book store and did the whole lunch thing.  Then off to the Empire State Building.  




One of the cool things about the Empire State Building is the cross-section of people you get to watch while standing in line.  One woman was clearly high maintenance and she was keeping her boy toy on a very short leash. Men rocking scarves (had to be European), etc.


ANYHOW, we make it to the end of the line where they try to sell you the audio tour or a map. 

One of the workers approached me and reached out toward me then withdrew his hand and asked, "Where's your man?"


I laughed and said he was at home.  He reaches out again and PETS MY HEAD. I thought my sister was gonna pee her pants she laughed so hard.  He then pulls my sister and I into a hug while his coworker made fun of him.  I've never been pet before...at least not like THAT.


Mr. Pigeon checkin' out the view


Oh, here's a snack I had...not sure why I took this picture:



BEFORE

AFTER

 Tomorrow, I'll wrap up the NYC trip, with my favorite thing from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and a funny story about a guy in the street.  Friday is the triumphant return of the Crackpot Confessional.  And Sunday (10-10-10) I'm announcing my next contest...in honor of my birthday.
  

19 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Loved it all, amazing! How I wish I could be there, and if I could just go to one, it would have to be the bookshop! But it was hard to decide. Loved the comment about being patted on the head...

Kristi said...

I too loved it all! I adore when bloggers take pictures while they're out and about...I feel like I was there with you. How fun!

Too funny about the petting...how dare you go out without your man...LOL!

Creepy Query Girl said...

Hahaha! I loved the empty cupcake wrapper! lol. And those new york workers...maybe it's a new form of greeting. lol.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Great!!!! Now I have a craving for cupcakes for breakfast. *rushes over to local grocery store to buy some even though is supposed to get kids up for school now*

Clarissa Draper said...

It looks like you're having so much fun. I'm going to have to remember visiting the Strand on my next trip to NYC.

CD

KarenG said...

I love NYC. My book Farm Girl is there at the Strand....somewhere.

Dawn said...

If I were to dig through my photo album of NY pics, I think I have a couple of "this is what I ate" pics. And many of them would absolutely include Diet Coke, since that's always been my beverage of choice :-) Great shots. So exciting! I really do love NY.

aspiring_x said...

oh wow! i would definitely of freaked if a stranger touched my head!! (( i love my personal space!!))
but!!! bookstore!!! **AWE**
and that pigeon shot is super reminiscent of spiderman filmography- very cool!!!

Carolyn V. said...

Oh, your pictures make me want to visit! I've never been to NYC, but the book store looks marvelous!

Wendy Ramer said...

Definitely some good "bookage" at the Strand. (You crack me up.)

Bish Denham said...

Wonderful! I went to Empire State Building in 1967. I have a lot of pictures. You would not believe how smoggy things where back then. Terribly yellow. It's nice to see the air so clear.

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

OMG! I want to live in that bookstore. New York is on my list of to go places. Maybe one day.

Yum to the cupcake. :)

Sandy Shin said...

Oh, I'd love, love to visit that bookstore just once. It looks absolutely amazing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome bookstore! Glad the storm missed you.
And the person who 'pets' me is going to pull back a stump!

Nicki Elson said...

You got pet(ted?) in NYC! That is so wicked cool. Can't wait to hear the funny guy on the street story. Sounds like you and sissy are having a ball. Thanks for the pictures---that pigeon one is fabulous. Did you take the aerial of the books?

Hey, I just gave your blog an award! You can stop by my blog to "pick it up."

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

That was wonderful! Thank you so much for sharin your trip with us!

Hannah Kincade said...

I would die, DIE in a book store like that!! OMG THAT'S AWESOME!! THAT IS HEAVEN!

Shannon said...

That bookstore is amazing. I could spend an entire week there!

Slushpile Slut said...

I am so jealous!! I would have had little tiny orgasms in that bookstore!! Amazing!
And the before/after cupcake pics...LOL :)