Join the Madness

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

NYC - The Lunch

We met at Max Brenner--the coolest restaurant ever.  Take a peek:

Doesn't that just oooze hipness and cool-ocity? (I'm totally making that a word.)

But it's not just any restaurant.

Ooooh nooooo.  It's got something else.  YOO HOO! Steena!  Are you out there?  Are you listening?  I think you need to put this on your bucket list because Max Brenner not only has incredible food, it also has it's own CHOCOLATE STORE!


(These aren't my pics because it was raining so I didn't stand in the rain to take a picture and because you should have assumed any uber cool hipster kinda lunching spot would have tons of people milling about, thus making a shot like this impossible)

Okay, so we took our seats.  This would be the approximate view from our table (again, not mine...I didn't wanna whip the camera out after the first 30 seconds--I was trying to be dignified, remember?)


So there we were...in the company of the Legendary Janet Reid & Suzie Townsend...AND a surprise bonus: Janet's Godsend, Meredith Barnes, joined us, too.  (I TOLD you I was lucky!)

I know some of you are probably hoping I'll type up the complete transcript of our conversation.  But I can't....partly because my memory isn't that great and partly because I'm not sure it's completely legal to post entire conversations without the "express written consent" of all parties involved....and I really don't wanna do anything to aggravate Those-I-May-Someday-Query.

I will say I was awed. By their brilliance, by their generosity, and their obvious camaraderie.  Fine Print must be THE place to be.  They work their tails off, sure.  But they obviously love what they do, and have a good deal of fun doing it.  I wanted to follow them back to the office and be put to work--so I could be part of the Cool Kids Club, too.  

(Psssst, Suzie, if you're reading this I can do the dishes and Starbucks runs!  I can also find bait queriers uh LUNCH for the shark.  Years of experience, and I work realllllllllly cheap!)

We talked about books (of course), and New York, and how much cold weather sucks.  I had a fantastic time! Best lunch ever!  (That's still dignified and within professional boundaries isn't it? Not too fan girly?)

Plus I uncovered a secret!  I'll share it with you, but you gotta promise not to tell anyone else.  Janet Reid is a shape shifter. 

Seriously.  I thought maybe she had mob connections or something and that's how she's managed to keep her picture off the internet for so long. I'm telling you I had her cornered, but when I looked at the picture, she had transformed herself into a package of mints with a picture of a shark on the front. The only thing she left behind was her glasses.  (well, and the tin of mints).  

I was tempted to eat one, but what if she shifted back and was like missing an ear or toe or something?  I couldn't live with the guilt.  Could you?


(Suzie on the left, me in the center, and Meredith on the right.)  

Let me go one the record and say that I know I'm holding the mints there, but that does NOT mean I was groping The Shark before she shifted.  She's got POWERS, I tell you.  No way I'm gonna mess with her.  I like my appendages where they are, thank you very much.


So, bottom line, it was a great lunch but we're not BFFs (though we totally could be!  Need an ARC Guard?? Let me know...), and there were no blanket offers of representation based on my sparkling personality.  I have to write the damn book just like the rest of ya!


Tomorrow, I'll share a few other fun NYC tidbits.  And Friday I have the MOTHER of all Crackpot Confessions!  Taking that bathroom humor you love so much to an entirely new level based on part of an overheard conversation.




28 comments:

Sandy Shin said...

That's great. It sounds like you had such an awesome time! :)

Alexandra Crocodile said...

OMG! Fabuolous!

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Yay. Glad you had a fabulous time :)

Jessica Bell said...

hahahaha! Sounds like you had a such a fab time! :o) happy for ya, gal!

Jenna Wallace said...

What fun! Can't wait for more...

Bish Denham said...

What a blast it must have been! Those shape-shifters...they are fast!

Shannon said...

So jealous. Between your lunch with the book goddesses AND the chocolate store - good god. Sounds like a perfect afternoon! <3

Saumya said...

That's awesome!!! I LOVE MAX BRENNER's!! It is probably my favorite restaurant in NYC.

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss vicki! wow sounds like you have a really neat time. that chocolate place is soooo cool. for sure if i ever go at new york i just gotta go there. i could be in that place for a whole day. :) those pictures are neat. i like that one of you holding those glasses and tin of mints. you got me laughing about shape shifter stuff and not chancing to eat one cause it could be a toe. ha ha cant wait to here that bathroom story.
...hugs from lenny

Carolyn V. said...

Oh my gosh!!! It looks like so much fun Vicki!!! And the chocolate...mmmm...I'm totally going to have to go. =)

Steena Holmes said...

Oh girl, I heard you loud and clear! A chocolate bar???? OMG. I have this down on my bucket list let me tell you!

LTM said...

LOL! Awesomeness, Miss V! And I say cooliosity all the time. It's totally a word. ;p Love the glasses-wearing mint tin--of course you KNOW the shark's face has already been featured on my blog... mwa hahaha... j/k It sounds like you had a fab time and I'm diggin Max Brenner's~ <3

Meghan Schuessler said...

Man I am *SO jealous*. Looks like you had a great time, you deserved it! :)

Mary said...

So, Vicki, you can tell us honestly -- did you have a good time or not? :>)
Mary

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh. MY. GOSH!!!
How cool is that? And at a chocolate bar too!
Please share more!!!

Meredith said...

That looks like it was such a fun lunch! It must have made your trip to New York even better :)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I knew you'd have a great time!

Dawn said...

Wow. Sounds amazing. Can't wait to read more about your NY adventure. I so love it there...

Clarissa Draper said...

That sounds like a great time! I can't wait to hear more about your lunch and the shape-shifting editor.

CD

Jolene Perry said...

Cool! Thanks for sharing!
I share all your "bathroom" humor ones with my husband - illustrations of golden bums included.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cool place! Glad you didn't eat an ear or nose or anything.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Very envious, loved the photo!

aspiring_x said...

lunch for the shape shifting shark!!! LOL!!! you are TOO much! :)

Little Ms J said...

JEALOUS. Me. Party of... me.

DL Hammons said...

Color me jealous!! Of course if I were there they would probably be wondering why this mute person wanted to have lunch with them!

Nicola Marsh said...

This sounds like a fabulous lunch!

Suzie is my lovely agent and Max Brenner in Melbourne is my favourite place, really hoping to make it to Max's in NYC one day! (It's enormous compared ours here in OZ!)

Hannah Kincade said...

Oh wow!! I'm jealous!! I'm not a huge chocolate fan but that store looks amazing! mmmmmmm.....*drool*

Sarah said...

It sounds like you had an AMAZING time! :) And Max Brenner...I've heard so much about it. I'm planning a trip to NYC *just* for that!