Join the Madness

Monday, October 11, 2010

Mock Me Monday - Total Fail

It's Friday as I start this post.  I'm munching on an Angus Burger from McDonald's because of one fail too many.  I don't know if it's lack of sleep, if I'm trying to do too much in too little time, or if maybe my blondeness is just shining through.  The last 24 hours have been one failure after another. 

It started (unofficially) yesterday over lunch, I ran to the grocery store.  I had to get party supplies because there were things going on after work.  I get to the checkout and realize that I never put my debit card back in my wallet.  Before I went to New York, I took everything out except one credit card and my ID.  I reached in my purse to call hubby thinking maybe he could read me the numbers and the cashier could type them in.  She knew me--she might do it.

Only my cell phone was DEAD.

Ugh.

I hate hate HATE charging groceries on my credit card, so I took what little cash I had left from New York and paid with that--only putting the small balance on the card.  I ran home, put the food away and grabbed my cell phone charger and my debit card. 

The afternoon was fairly uneventful.  Ran home and watched the Homecoming parade with the kids -- they were kind enough to put the route right at the end of my block.  YAY.  While I was sitting there waiting for it to start, I found a four leaf clover!  And then another!  And ANOTHER!  I haven't looked for them for years and I find three in the space of 2 minutes.  They were kinda raggedy, but there were definitely 4 leaves.  


It all went downhill from there.  Took daughter to Taekwondo ceremony only to find she went barefoot.  Yeah.  I'm a great mom.

After the ceremony, I decided I DID want to have cupcakes tonight so I ran to the store to get a couple cake mixes and stuff for frosting.  The girls were actually fighting over who got to help me mix them up...until I discovered I was an egg short.  WHY hadn't I thought to check the eggs?  I was also short on vegetable oil.  Crap.  I did some quick thinking and added a bit of mayo to make up the difference.  (it worked)

I made Jen's Vodka Cranberry Slush (OMG, so yummy!) only I left off the vodka so that the kidlings could have some...we grownups will just spike our drinks before consumption.  Freezer space was at a premium, so I put the mixture into gallon sized ziploc bags to freeze overnight...only the stupid thing shifted at the last minute and splashed all over the floor (and me).  Cleaned that mess up (Just Mom's way of telling me I needed to mop my floor, right?)

I was going to make Christine's chocolate chip cookie dough truffles (OMG-sinful).  I made the dough portion, had the 'balls' chilling in the fridge.  I went to take a bite of leftover dough out of the bowl, and dropped it into the sink (errr the bowl not the bite of dough).  Broke the bowl into 5 pieces AND somehow cut my hand in the process.

But wait!  There's more!

I got up early this morning to dunk the dough balls into melted chocolate.  I was out of waxed paper (why am I not surprised?) so I thought I'd set them on a wire rack.  The chocolate would drip through the holes and I'd just pluck them off once the chocolate hardened.  Great idea, right?  Well....not so much as it turns out.  I used a different kind of chocolate this time.  It tasted great, but was thicker than the chocolate I'd used in the past and was setting up really quickly.  When I went back to "pluck" the confections off the rack I found them GLUED to it as big globs of chocolate had dripped through the holes and set like that.  I had to get a knife and CUT THEM OFF.

I should have just stopped there.  Clearly things were not going to go my way.  But no.  I pressed on!

I had to frost all those cupcakes.  Frosting is something I struggle with for some reason, but I found a recipe for buttercream and gave it a whirl.  And killed my handmixer in the process.  Wasn't the frosting's fault--I had bought a cheapo mixer a year ago in a pinch before Thanksgiving. 

So I manage to get the kids up and off to school.  I grabbed my lunch out of the fridge and ran out the door.  Only when I opened the fridge a few minutes ago, I discovered that it wasn't my lunch, it was the sausage I'd cooked last night for the sausage cheese dip.  Thus, I admitted defeat and went to McDonald's for lunch.

EPILOGUE: The party was wonderful--had a great time.  

For details on the Worst Day Ever contest, go HERE.  You're welcome to use an actual day, but I highly encourage you to get creative, stretch the truth or just lie your pants off...

24 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

Oooooo sounding all so scrumptious! And I always forget to check the eggs ;p fortunate we live across from the supermarket I guess :)

www.damselinadirtydress.com

N. R. Williams said...

Three things struck me...1. four leaf clovers aren't lucky, I wouldn't know I've never seen one. 2. A really mean Leprechaun put a hex on you. 3. You lied your pants off. Are they in the laundry now? LOL this was funny.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Jen Daiker said...

Wow I loved this!!!! PS - I love my vodka slush and can't wait to make it for Halloween!!! I'm making a spook-tacular edition!!!

Also chocolate chip cookie dough truffles... YUM! Thanks for the fab link :)

Bish Denham said...

Is this a truth or lie deal here? Very funny.

aspiring_x said...

man are you ambitious! sounds like excellent food! and you know, mom was just watching your back with the slush! :)

Amie B said...

OMG - I'm so sorry - but i'm totally laughing at your expense right now. thanks for brightening my day!

(ok, i'm sorry your day was so crummy)

Shannon said...

Sorry you had one of "those" days. At least the party was a success!

Mason Canyon said...

I hate days like that. Makes you want to go back to bed, but then if you're like me the bed would probably fall or something. Sorry for a rough day, but thanks for making me smile this morning. :)

Lydia Kang said...

I am always short on something when I bake! Which is why I hardly bake. I just avoid the whole thing.

Saumya said...

I agree with Lydia. It's inspiring that you went through all of this trouble!! And those truffles sound heavenly.

Carolyn V. said...

Oh wow. That sounds like a painful day. But I'm glad the party turned out okay. =)

Michelle McLean said...

Hmm, aren't 4 leaf clovers supposed to be GOOD luck? Sounds like a day you were glad to have over LOL but glad the party turned out well! And the food sounds Yummy!

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Aww, sorry for the disaster day. But the chocolate chip cookie dough truffles sound yum...even if you had to cut them off. lol.

LTM said...

I think you're a wizard-genius w/that whole mayo thing...

hmm... I say DON'T send a query today. LOL!!! :D

Stephen Tremp said...

No need to lie my pants off. I have these days. Don't even have to try. I rememeber once stopping for gas on the way to work, going inside to pay, getting in my car without putting gas in, then running out of gas on the freeway. Aarrgghh!!!!

Stephen Tremp

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad it all worked out! And seems like anytime I go to make something we are out of one key ingredient. My wife wings it, I don't - so it always involves a run to the store.

Katie Anderson said...

So looks like four-leafed clovers aren't as lucky as we thought! Hope your string of bad luck has ended now...

(PS, just started following you - hello!)

Katie

notesfromnadir said...

Congrats on the 4-leaf clovers! I love the pictorial evidence. I've not ever found a single 4-leaf clover & you find more than 1! :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh my gosh! I have to say I did laugh when you were all happy about the four-leafed clovers and then everything went downhill from there. LOL
Sorry about that. {[hug}}
The week HAS to get better, right?

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss vicki! YIKES! is all i could say for that day. i gotta say your pretty strong cause you did just like that comercial says. takes a licking and keeps on ticking. youre that ever ready bunny for sure. ha ha. im happy for you that the party was fun.
...hugs from lenny

DL Hammons said...

I'm not laughing...and that's not Dr. Pepper dripping from my nose. :)

Little Ms J said...

BUT. You had cupcakes. And vodka. Sniffle no more.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Somethings going around in Iowa...I went to the grocery store three times on Friday...It sounds like you ended up with some yummy treats in the end. :)

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Oh my word, what an awful day!! But I hope the hamburger was good. Err...

Did you at least take a nibble out of that sausage? I would have.