Join the Madness

Monday, October 18, 2010

Mock Me Monday - Pancakes

The other morning, as I was rushing around the silent house getting ready for work, I decided to be a really nice mom and make a batch of pancakes for the kids to eat when they woke up.

We use the packaged pancake mix (I only make them from scratch in a pinch).  Unfortunately, we don't use the package up fast enough, so it seems we always get those itty bitty little larva like bugs in it.  I've started keeping the box in the freezer, so no matter how long it takes us to use up the mix, I don't have to worry about those nasty little bugs.  Works like a charm!

So there I was, I mixed up some batter, poured it on the griddle and busied myself with scrambling some eggs and making a sandwich for my lunch later. Multi-tasker, that's me.

Soon it was time to flip...but the pancakes looked weird.  They were unusually flat, and not browning like they should.  I threw the first batch in the garbage.  I thought maybe I didn't have the griddle hot enough or maybe the mix had been frozen too long and just wasn't going to "fluff" up at all.

And then it hit me.

Like a ton of bricks it hit me.

I had used regular ol' flour and milk.  No wonder they didn't rise!  I dumped the rest of the batter and did it over properly with the pancake mix.  It worked beautifully the second time, go figure.

I'm just glad the kids weren't around to see my gaffe.

Any cooking blunders you care to admit to?

18 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Yes, made me laugh, sort of thing I do from time to time, though when a new bride in Africa... I can't list the number of mistakes it would take too long!

salarsenッ said...

Hah! Cooking blunders...I've done what you did. My biggest issue of late is letting things burn. With four kids, I'm in constant motion and sometimes forget I had something on the stove. Poo...

Jayne said...

Oh those itty bitty little larva like bugs make me shiver. I'll remember that freezer tip! As for cooking blunders... I once made a slightly green bacon sarnie. Now that was a huge mistake!

Bish Denham said...

LOL! How about salt instead of sugar...in a cake...Of course I was like 8 years old at the time and it was my first cake....

aspiring_x said...

everytime i cook, it's a blunder! :)
(and i work in a kitchen)...

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm a pretty good cook. BUt last week my kids squirted liquid dish soap all over the dishes inside the dishwsher and ran it. Yep, bubbles bubbles everywhere.


Stephen Tremp

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I quit making pancakes a long time ago. My husband makes them, but he makes the European kind. They're just a bit thicker than a crepe. It's the type we grew up on.

LTM said...

girl! I did the ole spoon in the blender trick once--goo all over my hair, the ceiling, the cabinets... LOL! Have to admit, btw jumping out of my skin at the loud noise and the mess, I couldn't breathe for laughing... :D

Shannon said...

Cooking blunders....lol, more than I can count. I tried a new recipe recently - apple pecan stuffing with chicken in the crockpot. I overcooked it. It was a brown mushy mess. Urgh.

Candyland said...

Ha! That sounds like classic Candyland! Only, Id not have noticed at all and served them proudly!

notesfromnadir said...

Now that's funny about forgetting to add the liquid ingredients!

As for those bugs, I used to get them in my rolled oats and they were so gross. Thanks so much for the tip about freezing them! :)

Carolyn V. said...

Hee hee. At least you figured it out. I was trying to learn how to make homemade bread and I left the salt out. It tasted awful. I buy my bread now.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At least no one had to eat those flat little pancakes!

Wendy Ramer said...

I don't cook, which makes me blunder-free...in the kitchen, that is.

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss vicki! you got me laughing at those pancakes. im thinking you didnt make flap jacks you made flat jacks. ha ha. for me and my cooking all i gotta say is dont nuke marshmallows or raw eggs still in the shell. one goes kapooooof all over the place and the other one explodes all over the place. yikes! what a icky mess for sure.
...laughs and hugs from lenny

Jen Daiker said...

Hehe I do this all to often with pancakes! I'm not one that runs out of batter though, I'm obsessed with pancakes, we have them almost every weekend!!! Except for this weekend, we had monkey bread!

Susan Fields said...

Can't think of any off the top of my head (though I'm sure they're there!) except for the time I served flourless chocolate cake with pure chocolate frosting too close to bedtime one night and gave all my guests a night of insomnia - oops!

Jolene Perry said...

I have forgotten to put yeast in bread more than once. Bread with no yeast ain't that great. Unless it's SUPPOSED to be.