Join the Madness

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Kissin' Up to Karma


Not that long ago, my daughter and I were at the thrift store looking at books.  She found three or four she wanted and since books are usually the one splurge we allow the kids, I agreed to buy them.  

We were standing in line.  I mentally calculated the total at about $3, and I was digging through my change purse hoping to have enough so I didn't have to break a $20 bill.  

The man in front of us unexpectedly paid for her books!  Said he liked to see young people reading and it would make him happy to give her the gift of these few books.

I protested -- I was sure he was doing it because it LOOKED like I was scrounging for enough to cover the bill.  He insisted, so I let him.  Sometimes it's not easy being on the receiving end of kindness, but it was clearly something he wanted to do, so we thanked him profusely and basked in the glow of his generosity for the rest of the day.

I believe in karma and in paying it forward.  Giving back and random acts of kindness.  But I feel like I've been falling short lately. I love holding contests and giving things away, but sometimes contests are a lot of work to orchestrate.  And so, I thought of a different way to give back...and I think it's brilliant.

What I propose is this:

You email me your address, and periodically I'll draw a name from my list (secretly) and send something in the mail.  Maybe it'll be a card.  Maybe it'll be candy.  Maybe I'll send a book or gift certificate.  Nothing too extravagant, just a nice surprise to find in the mail.

Are you game?  All you have to do is email your address to me at missvspeaks(at)gmail(dot)com.  I will NOT share the addresses with anyone else, promise.

And if you like the idea, go ahead and steal it!  There's no such thing as too much kindness!

Speaking of contests...don't forget to enter My Worst Day Ever contest for your chance to win $40 (cashola) or the Book Brains-A Zombie Memoir.

22 comments:

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Isn't that awesome!!! While it is nice to see children reading, it is almost nicer to see adults who appreciate it.

And I LOVE YOUR PAY IT FORWARD IDEA. That is really such great fun. I am sending you my address, and as soon as I can breathe, I am copying it. It is not likely to be much that I send, but the fun is in getting something unexpected.

DLCurran said...

I like this idea - wish I'd thought of it myself, but hey, if you really don't mind a thief I think I'll steal it (with proper kudos, of course!) I've seen all these contests in bloggy world and couldn't come up with anything special for next month when I turn 40 - but this sounds like a great way to celebrate! So, thanks for such a great idea... and have a fantastic day! :)

Nicole MacDonald said...

Ooooh what a cute idea! Well you already know my e-mail Vicki so consider me in :) and YAY for a random guy supporting kids reading - I totally understand his POV


www.damselinadirtydress.com

Carole Anne Carr said...

What a wonderful idea. I was in a bookshop, child wanted the recent Harry Potter book but it was only in hardback as yet and Mother couldn't afford it, so I took their address and sent them my copy. carole@caroleannecarr.com

Candyland said...

This is a great idea! I love people who pay it forward!!! And surprises in the mail ROCK!!!

Bish Denham said...

Oh Vicki! That is SO sweet of you! And the gentleman who paid for your books, what a dearheart.

aspiring_x said...

that is such a wonderful idea! and what a nice man!

Dawn said...

What a beautiful and original idea. And who doesn't love surprise mail-outs?!
I also adore the man who paid for the books. I work for an organization committed to helping kids read, and in my own house, books are never something I say "no" to.

Jude said...

What a sweet man! Yea, it IS hard accepting random acts of kindness, because a few bad people have made us suspicious that there should be a catch, right? We definitely need more real life stories like this :)

Theresa Milstein said...

What a nice guy. That's an awesome story, Vicki. You don't have to send me presents - your blog is present enough. Although I am entered in your contest, so I'll see what happens there.

I'm going to have a blog haunting from 10/28-11/1 because I want bloggers to find one another and people who need critique partners to find them. I'm going to sweeten the deal with autographed books giveaways. Blog events are work but they're fun too.

Talli Roland said...

Fantastic idea! I'm game, I'm game! Emailing you now.

Yay for karma! :)

Janet Johnson said...

I love stories like that! I want to be more like that guy.

Shannon said...

Dude, I love this idea. I think I may steal it. =)

A couple of my favorite pay it forward things to do:

1. Pay for the person's meal behind me at a drive through

2. Pay the toll for the car(s) behind me

I've had people do it for me in the past and it absolutely made my day!

Ahhh...the things I could do with a lot of money.

Jolene Perry said...

I just love nice people.
My kids and I sent out little cards or stickers randomly to my friend's kids. They have no cousins... but it's always fun to see what we get back.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Vicki, that's a really nice gesture!

Carolyn V. said...

That is so cool that he would do that! I love it. I think you have my email Vicki, but you're right, sometimes it's hard being on the getting end of things. =)

Clarissa Draper said...

I'm not going to enter this one because I won the last one but I have to disagree with you, you have been GIVING us so much back. Thanks for sharing with us your trip to NYC.

CD

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm with you, Vicki. Sometimes it's easier to do the kind act than be the recipient of it.

Julie Musil said...

I thought I'd already signed up, but I guess not!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Vicki, you are all kinds of awesome! I think this is a wonderful idea (and I just might steal it!) :-)

Jules said...

I'm so there! I have been doing random acts of kindness for years and it has always returned in better shape than I sent it. :)

I think you have my email but if not drop me a comment.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

AWWWW, Vicki, that is such a sweet idea! Have fun...