Join the Madness

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ghost Story #8 - More Dreams


I'm not sure that you would call these ghost stories in the strictest sense of the word, but they do fall into the weird Halloween Paranormal-ish experience.

While I have very vivid dreams, I don't have bad ones often.  A bad dream for me is getting into an argument with someone.  If a 'bad guy' is chasing me I can usually alter the dream so they either aren't bad or I can fly or somehow eliminate the threat.  

I don't have nightmares though.  Never have.  Right after high school my best friend and I had started playing with the Ouija board.  I didn't know anything about it back then, it was just fun.  My mom had even planned to use it with me one night but I got one of the worst stomach viruses I've ever had. (coincidence?)  By the time I was better, Mom's days off were over and she had to go back to work so we never did get the chance to play with it together.  

Not long after we started playing with the thing, I started having HORRIBLE nightmares...all centered around the Ouija board.  Mostly, I was haunted in these dreams, but the worst one had a portal open while we were playing with it and there were these terrifying creatures trying to come through. Finally, in the midst of this dream, I promised never to use the board again. The dream stopped right then and I never had another one.  But then, I've never used another board again either. 

A few weeks later, I flew to my sister's house for a few weeks.  My brother called me all ticked off asking what I'd done with the planchette (the part that moves around)--it was missing.  We'd had this board for more than ten years and it survived three major moves.  It had been in its box in my closet before I left, but when he went to retrieve it, the only thing in the box was the board...the planchette was gone and we never did find it.

The only other moderately distressing dream I ever had was years later, after I was married. I don't remember WHAT I found disturbing, I just remember feeling very stressed and scared.

In the middle of this horrible dream, the brightest white light appeared.  Immediately, I was calmed and reassured.  It was the greatest feeling of love and acceptance I've ever known.  And then, the light told me what my purpose was--why I was here.  It made complete and total sense. But when I woke up, I couldn't remember anything but that overwhelming feeling of love.  I really wish I could remember what my purpose was...so I could see how I was measuring up!

****

When I was visiting my sister on the trip I mentioned above, I would say over breakfast every morning, "I had the weirdest dream last night" and I'd crack everyone up with my strange imagery and antics. One night in the middle of an odd dream, I crawled into a sleeping bag in the middle of the desert and had another dream (Inception anyone?).  In this 2nd dream, my grandpa (who had died 2-3 years before) came to me SMOKING and warned me about potential problems with my dad.  We got a good laugh out of this.  My grandpa had been a Methodist minister and certainly didn't drink or smoke or do anything like that.

Once I flew back home, my other sister took me aside and mentioned some serious things going on with Dad.  When I mentioned the dream to my mom, she told me that her father HAD smoked a pipe at one time and that he sometimes admitted to missing it.


*********


I'm going to try really hard to compile the Worst Day Ever entries this weekend, so if you haven't sent me an entry yet you still have time!  Send me a real or fictional account to MissVSpeaks(at)gmail(dot)com.

10 comments:

Susan Fields said...

Wow, I guess you really weren't supposed to use that Ouija board - someone was looking over you. :)

Creepy Query Girl said...

ouiji boards are pretty scary. I could never get one to work for me. but my mother in law does this thing with a wood table. She cuts out the letters from paper, places them in a circle on a wood table with a crystal shot glass in the middle and it works- like a ouiji board. Like a very powerful ouiji board actually...

Bish Denham said...

I've had many interesting dreams in my life. Only one turned out to be prophetic. I won't go into the details as it was pretty horrifying but the next day, I learned after the fact, that it had come true...a friend had committed suicide. I was so shook up I had to take off from work.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I got in trouble with my Mum for laying with a Ouija board when I was a kid...never touched one since...

I have bad dreams quite often, very vivid and often repeating...(yikes!)

Have a good one, Vicki!!!

Dawn said...

Ah, the ouija board. Fond memories from my youth. I never got one to work, but have friends that swear it did for them. And it's not even a fad! My 13-year-old stepdaughter is begging to buy one. I've vetoed it, but I'm sure she'll stumble on one at a friend's house - if you can still even buy them.

LTM said...

ew, freaky missing planchette. I was never allowed to TOUCH a ouiji board. I think that went back to Exorcist...

too bad you forgot the meaning of life... LOL!!! :D Vicki! *snort*

(so was your dad OK?) Happy Halloween! :o) <3

J said...

Creepy times with that Quiji board, eh?

I remember having dreams where I could wake up feeling warm like that. I haven't had them recently, though. Must be the mid-term stress kicking out the good vibes, hahaha.

Little Ms J said...

Cuh-reepy.

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss vicki! yikes! i didnt ever know anyone that dreams so much strange stuff as you. i get scary dreams sometimes but mostly if i eat a lotta junk stuff before i go to bed. for sure if i eat a banana im gonna have a bad dream. im really liking all these stories you got.
...hugs from lenny

Shannon said...

You know, I've only seen an ouiji once and we didn't play with it very long because I didn't trust the boys we were with to play fair.

Sounds like you have some fantastic dreams! Do you keep a dream journal?