Join the Madness

Monday, October 25, 2010

Ghost Story #5

I lost my mom to cancer almost 4 years ago.  Dad was always neutral when it came to the paranormal--nothing had ever happened to him, but he believed the rest of us when we reported an incident.  

Mom, though, was a believer.  I wish she were here because she could tell you her own stories.  About being alone in the farmhouse at night and how light fixtures would sway from side to side (more than just a slight shift, it was being pushed by unseen hands).  Or she might tell you about looking into the kitchen and seeing the boxes of cereal in the cupboard above the stove rearrange themselves. 

Mom always said she'd come back if she could.  She told us we'd know she was around because she'd turn our pictures around to face the wall.  This isn't possible in most of our houses as we don't have them hanging on wire.  I suppose that's why she got creative.


Mom steals stuff.  I told you about one incident here.  It's not just me, it's all of us kids.  She's a bit of a kleptomaniac and it's kinda frustrating.


Back in July, I was preparing for a visit from the in-laws.  I like to make as much of the food ahead of time as I can so all I have to do is throw it in the oven or put it out on a platter.  I had made cookies and an ice cream pie and was trying to mix up a meatloaf--double recipe because I was expecting to feed 11 possibly 15 (more if the kids happened to have friends over).  The bowl I was using wasn't big enough.  I turned around to grab the big glass bowl I'd just used for cookies and had washed and left in the drainer.  


It was gone.


I looked in the fridge, I looked in all the cupboards.  Looked in the sink, interrogated the children--who had all been busy and weren't likely to run off with a mixing bowl anyhow.  I couldn't find it anywhere.  It was a big bowl--kind of hard to hide something that size.  I gave up and found another bowl.


I was up late that night, went to bed just minutes before hubs got up for work. I told him Mom had stolen a bowl from me. I heard him searching as I drifted off to sleep and vaguely remember him saying he'd found it in the cupboard and set it on the counter. 


When I got up, there was a big yellow mixing bowl on the counter. This was my Mom's bowl and I rarely use it because I keep it on the top shelf of the cupboard...the glass one that went missing I keep near the stove (opposite side of the kitchen) so while they're roughly the same size, one is more convenient than the other.  Hubs had taken the yellow bowl down thinking it was the one I'd been complaining about.






Frustrated, I opened the cupboard to put the yellow bowl away and guess what?


The glass one I'd been searching for was setting in its spot! NO WAY I did that as it's a bit of a reach for short ol' me...besides, I would've put it in the OTHER cupboard.


Other than that, we occasionally have TV's turn themselves off (though not as often as the other house...they'd go on and off at their own volition), and had a light on top of our entertainment center turn itself on once. Kids can't reach it.  Hubs and I can barely reach it. It's up there for looks, not for use. 

So, not scary - just frustrating.


Tomorrow, I think I'll share one of my sister's stories...and in her own words!  Spoooooooooooooooooky





16 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

I'm amazed that one person has so many stories to share.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

You have a gift, Girl...Well, several gifts...

Rayna M. Iyer said...

That's one fun/ scary ghost story, depending on how you choose to look at it.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Loved it, had that sort of thing happen with the Mother I sadly lost.

salarsenッ said...

Ooh, cool story. (Sorry about your mother.)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Ooh, that is spooky, but cool. Still reminded me of the grandmother talking to me while baking incident I had after she died.

Jen Daiker said...

Ummm I think I would still find it a bit scary... and frustrating for sure!!! Yay for fun spooky stories for the week of Halloween!! Woohoo!

aspiring_x said...

excellent story!!! not too scary at all! :) but i really think you should invest in a wire for at least one of your wall hangings- give your mama a chance to keep to her word... she might be less frustrated and stop stealing your stuff! but it's sweet that she wanted you to use her bowl for company! :)

Jaydee Morgan said...

I love that your mom is still such a trickster - great story :)

Bish Denham said...

It would be frustrating to have things go missing, but it's nices to no she's letting you know she's with you.

At my sister's house some of her kitchen cabinets will be found ajar in the morning. They started turning up ajar not long after a dear friend died. He used to live with us and could often be found rummaging for something to eat in the kitchen. It's been about 2 and half years now and the we still find cabinet doors ajar in morning. It's kind of nice to know he's still around, particularly since we make a conscious effort to be sure all the cabinets are closed before we go to bed.

Dawn said...

Great story!

Wendy Ramer said...

Is this true? I'd like to believe in the paranormal, but I'm always looking for the logical explanation. I'm a big fan of Ghost Whisperer, so my mind has opened up a lot recently.

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss vicki! woooo that was a pretty scary story. my mom believed in ghosts too. she said mostly they try to scare you for fun and if you dont get scared they just go away. we didnt get all that stuff you got when she died. on the next night after she got dead she came in my bedroom and put her arms around me and hugged me and smiled and only just said "its ok" and then i didnt ever see her again. she was dressed in those clothes she did her rose gardening in and that was her most favorite thing to doso i think shes really happy. i cant wait for the next scary story. woooooooo
...hugs from lenny

Little Ms J said...

Goodness. Maybe you and your fam have a special kind of gift. I'm personally scared of having any such gift, thankyouverymuch, so I'm glad you're tough enough for the both of us!

Susan Fields said...

Great story! I can't believe Halloween's next week already - I guess I need to get in the spirit. :)

Shannon said...

I like these stories. Scary? Nah. Frustrating? Yep. =)