Join the Madness

Friday, October 22, 2010

Ghost Story #2


My daughter was two and a half when we left Vegas for Iowa.  We rented an apartment for the first six months so we could find jobs, and get a feel for what area of town we wanted to live in, etc.

The apartment was small. The living room/dining room and a TINY (aka 'one butt') kitchen on the first floor and two bedrooms and the bathroom upstairs.

I never really liked that apartment, though I couldn't ever put my finger on a reason why.  You should know that when my daughter was born, someone gave her a little stuffed bear in a Chicago Bulls cheerleader uniform.  She LOVED that bear.  She took it everywhere with her and to bed with her every night.

And after we moved into that apartment, she didn't want anything to do with that bear.  I'd find it stuffed in the closet and under her bed.  She said it talked to her, and it freaked her out.  Yes, she was young and kids have vivid imaginations.  But it was like someone threw a switch...she suddenly HATED that bear.  Even years later, when I found it in a box she didn't want anything to do with it.

The only other thing that happened in that apartment that freaked ME out was a series of incidents where I could hear her crying in her bedroom and I tried to go to her but was unable to move.  I've heard of sleep paralysis, and yeah, that's a possibility.  But it just seems strange that I'd never had it before and never again since.  I can't tell you how terrifying it was to want to go to my daughter to reassure her and be unable to even speak.

Another spooky story tomorrow!

17 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Fascinating and terrifying. A friend bought an old cottage in Wales for his wife for the time when she came out of hospital as a holiday home. He was renovating it late one night when an old woman appeared in the kitchen from nowhere and screamed at him in Welsh to get out of her house. He still laughs about it, but I would have died of fright!

Al said...

Creepy!
Mind you I have never had any experience even vaguely like this.

aspiring_x said...

ohmygoodness!!!! that's terrifying! the worst is not being able to help your baby!! i couldn't stand that! shoot! just thinking about it makes my skin all irritated! poor little one! poor vicki!

Yaya' s Home said...

Eeeeewww! That would creep ME out. Does your daughter remember anything about when she quit liking her teddybear?

~ Yaya

LTM said...

ew ew ew!!!! Freaky toys are really scary to me. It's why I don't buy American Girl dolls. Oh, and they're a million dollars. But seriously, those things are going to come to life and cut you.

I'm just sayin.

;p

Kimberly Franklin said...

Very creepy. I like creepy things. Well, I like them when they're not happening to me. LOL. :)

Jaydee Morgan said...

Good thing it was just a rental - that place definitely doesn't sound like a keeper.

Jeff Hirsch said...

This is awesome. I mean an awesome story.Not awesome that it happened. You know. The apparent disconnect between the two incidents really works, it kind of leaves space for our imagination to fill in some very creepy blanks.

Meredith said...

Ugh, I get sleep paralysis sometimes when I'm napping, and sometimes I think a robber has come into the room and I can't move. It's terrifying! Glad you got to move out of that apartment.

Carolyn V. said...

That is creepy. I would have tossed the bear too!

roxy said...

Definitely get rid of the bear. Very Scary post!

Raquel Byrnes said...

Okay, now I won't be able to sleep tonight without putting all the stuffed animals away. Grrr!

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss vicki! yep for sure thats pretty scary stuff. that talking bear must of said mean things. i didnt ever hear of that sleep paralysis before. that scary too. i hope all the stuffed animal i got in my bedroom (mostly raccoons) dont all start talking at the same time. yikes! that creepy! ha ha i hope you have a real nice weekend.
...hugs from lenny

Sara McClung ♥ said...

My sorority house was supposedly haunted. I never saw/heard anything--but one of my sisters SWORE she woke up one night and saw her (the ghost was a female) but was completely unable to get up or move.

SO freaky!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

The poor girl! I've never lived in a haunted house, but my grandmother did visit me when she died (or at least at the same time my mom got the call saying her mother was dead)--and told me I was going to have a baby girl. I wasn't pregnant and we weren't planning to have anymore babies.

Several months later I discovered I was pregnant . . . with a girl! Strange but true. ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You don't still have that bear, do you?

notesfromnadir said...

Who knew the kinds of people that lived there before you moved in? All apartments & homes give off vibes. Too bad you had to live in a negative place like that, but I get the impression you weren't there too long?