Join the Madness

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Ghost Story #10


By chance, just before my second daughter was born, I heard about pennies from heaven.  It was in the Dear Abby column, and a reader was sharing her experience.  Essentially, there are those who believe when you find a penny - especially in an unusual spot or under strange circumstances - that it is a sign that a loved one who has crossed over is thinking of you.

One night, when my daughter was only a few days old, I was up at 2 a.m. to feed/change her. When I opened up her diaper I was shocked to find three pennies in there.  I don't know if it was my dad, if it was the spirit of the woman in that house or just a really odd coincidence.  

****

There haven't been many strange things happening since we moved into our new house.  Though after we first moved in, I would see a lot of lights/shadows out of the corner of my eye, but when I turned my head it was gone. I chalked this up to a new house and maybe passing cars outside reflecting the light in weird ways.  

One night at the kids' bed time I was downstairs to pick one of them up and manually carry them to their room.  I noticed a ball of golden light "dancing" around the curtains.  Bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball.  It moved around the room rather erratically.  I didn't say anything (didn't want the kids freaking out), just carried the little one up the stairs.  When I went into her room, the ball of light was there.  It wiggled around in mid air a bit then disappeared.  Never saw it again, and the light/shadow thing out of the corner of my eye disappeared, too.

****

When I was little (say 10 - 14) we lived in an old house (100+ years) that had been completely renovated.  One night I was shaking out a sheet to sleep on the living room floor (old house, no air conditioning so it too hot to sleep upstairs).  I got this mental image of a blonde man leaning on the back of the rocking chair looking at me.  Scared the bleep out of me.  In retrospect, he wasn't at all threatening, just stood there watching me.  Mom let me lay in her bed that night (hers was on the first floor).

Soon, though, I didn't want anything to DO with her room.  I was in there reading a book one night and I kept hearing this tapping noise.  At this point, I didn't know the house was haunted.  I thought at first it was my dad's old fashioned alarm clock ticking, but I could hear that AND this other tapping. It sounded like it was coming from the wall. I went to tell my mom I was hearing weird noises and she and my sister exchanged a look -- this sort of thing had happened before, apparently.  That's when I heard that one night when Mom was going to bed (and she stayed up until 2 or 3 all the time) she opened her bedroom door to discover her clock was FLOATING several feet above the table.  She slammed it back down and dove into bed.

************

Tomorrow, for my grand finale, I'm sharing another story of my sister's -- one of my favorites -- and probably the spookiest of the bunch.

9 comments:

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi..ghosts (thank God I have not encountered any) scare the hell out of me. But I love reading ghost stories.

Rachna

The Golden Eagle said...

That is a bit creepy! I wouldn't want to find my clock floating above a table.

Bish Denham said...

Those are some very odd tales, Vicki and they have brought back memories of a house I once stayed in with friend. It was a very old 4 story house in a town in Pennsylvania. The 4 stories included a large basement and huge attic.

One night my friend and I were in the living room and we heard noise coming from the kitchen we went to investigate and saw our pot of mac and cheese hovering above the stove, then we saw it move off the stove and drop to the floor. Yes, there was a mess to clean up. There was a bead curtain in one of the doorways, sometimes it would rustle and move or get parted and we could feel cold spots at the places where hands may have touched it to part it. Cold spots drifted through the entire house, you never knew when you'd walk into one and they were cold too, and I was visiting in the summer. The house had no AC. The attic was disturbing, there were bullet holes in the wall and the basement was very creepy, we never knew how long the light would stay on while we were down there. Several other things happened, but that's enough.

Kristi said...

I love ghost stories!!! Can't wait to hear your sisters!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You've certainly experienced a lot of creepy happenings.

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

How cool! I try to open myself up to paranormal experiences, but so far nothing exciting's happened. Can't wait for the last story!!

Happy Halloween!

Shellie said...

Hi Vicki, For some reason I'm drawn to old houses. They are all I've ever lived in. So I have felt the presence of ghosts more than once, and on one occassion actually saw one. I'm thinking I need to stop living in old houses. They do have a lot of history, but sometime their previous occupants never leave, if you know what I mean ;>

Jolene Perry said...

You are like a magnet for the paranormal woman! Madness!
Every house I've EVER lived in, either my parent's or my husband and I have built. No old houses for me. Not yet anyway...

eeleenlee said...

Your stories are really spooky. If my clock was floating in mid-air i wouldn't even try to touch it!

I've posted my own spooky stories at my blog too for Halloween