Join the Madness

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ghost Story #1


I grew up in a family where weird things happened.  In fact, I think a lot of things we took for granted would probably freak most other people out.  For the next several days, in honor of Halloween, I will share a collection of stories with you.  They are all true...that's not to say there can't be a scientific or "logical" explanation to any of them. 

Today's installment shouldn't creep anyone out, it's fairly mild.

When I was little, we had a dog named Bootsie.  She was a great dog.  When my brother and I got into trouble and Mom put us in the corner, we used to call Bootsie back and forth between us trying to prove who she loved best.  (me! me! me!).  

She also loved to play fetch.  We had a tennis ball we'd toss across the room and she'd tear after it.  Our dining room floor was linoleum and you could hear her nails click clack as she dashed across it.  There were built-in cabinets along one wall that stood about 4 inches off the floor.  Often the ball would roll under there and get stuck by the wall.  Bootsie would whine and "dig" at the linoleum trying to reach her ball so we could throw it again.

She was an old dog, though, and soon she had trouble walking and had to be carried outside to go to the bathroom.  She died early Christmas morning when I was 10 or 11.  Dad buried her before we got up, and I'm shamed to say it was hours before any of us thought to look for her that morning. 

After she passed, there were times we would hear her nails clicking on the linoleum.  We could hear her whining and "digging" for the ball under the cabinets.  We all heard it.  There was no mistake.  Sometimes we'd feel her jump up on our bed like she used to.  Mom said once that she was sleeping with her hand dangling over the edge of the bed and she felt Bootsie's cold, wet nose nudge her hand, begging to be pet.

We moved a year or so later, and I don't ever remember hearing her after that.  

See?  Not too scary.  Tomorrow,we'll kick it up a notch.

20 comments:

Yaya' s Home said...

Aw. Ya' know, I sometimes think our pets are able to keep an eye on us or something. Stories like this increase my sense that love can cross all borders.

~ Yaya

Carole Anne Carr said...

Mmmmm.. Mother's dog died, relative came to the house for the first time, hung her coat in the hall and returned to say the little white dog wouldn't let go of the bottom of her coat and wanted to play.

Slushpile Slut said...

Oooohh! Chills! Well I guess if a person's spirit can linger so too can Bootsies!

Candyland said...

Ooohhh creepy! I think they come around after they pass...

aspiring_x said...

yikes! at least bootsie wasn't a kujo kinda dog!

Matthew Rush said...

Creepy. But kind of comforting too ...

Bish Denham said...

That is so cool! I had a failthful dog who after he died came to me in a dream. In the dream he was clearly warning me of danger. My sister and I were on a road trip at the time. That morning we got up very early to hit the road. It was not quite light out and there was light misty fog, I remembered my dream so I was driving slowly, carefully. I was going down a mountian road, a truck was coming up when a big buck dashed out right between us. He was tapped by my car, slid off the hood and dashed into the woods. All I could think of was old Chester and the dream. Who can say, if I hadn't had that dream there might have been a REAL accident.

Jaydee Morgan said...

I don't find stories like this scary at all - they're actually quite heartwarming. Looking forwrd to more :)

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Since I am not sure if I thanked you for the Award or not, I am letting you know that I acknowledged it on my blog today. Thank you, and you have one Lovely Blog yourself. Really, really lovely.

Carolyn V. said...

I do get a little freaked out by the tame ghost story, but that one was sweet. I'm a little nervous about tomorrow's though. =)

Dawn said...

I LOVE stories like this - creepier the better. Bootsie sounds like a special friend :-)

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss vicki! that was a cool story. for me its not scary cause i think a spirit could come around sometimes. that dog maybe was just coming round to do something he loved at the house where he lived and was happy. i cant wait for the next story. you write them so neat. i love that dog picture.
...hugs from lenny

Talli Roland said...

Whaaaat? Whaddya mean, that's not scary? I'm scared! I'm not sure I can take tomorrow's...

Nicole MacDonald said...

Awwwww *sniff* you left her? Okay sure you had to move but.. *sniff* feeling sorry for the ghost pup now

www.damselinadirtydress.com

Jolene Perry said...

Still gave me chills...

LTM said...

omg, Vicki! I had a similar exp. w/a dog that lived at my g'rents. He died, but one day in the woods I SWEAR I saw him following me.

my dad - "it was probably a panther."
me: was that supposed to make me feel better??? :D

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

When our border collie died, I used to think I could hear him running down the stairs in a morning. My dad said it was the creeky floorboards, but now I wonder.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Awww...You made me nervous...then you made me tear up. Lovely story Vicki!

Shannon said...

Agreed..creepy and comforting. :)

notesfromnadir said...

Bootsie does sound like a fine dog to have when you're growing up. Wish I had 1--I was only allowed birds & fish!

But it seems like she wanted to be around you & your family afterwards because she found comfort there.