Join the Madness

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Wrong Kind of Green Thumb


I would love to have a luscious, well-pruned garden...but it seems I grow more weeds than flowers.  Case in point:  My back flower bed...


BEFORE:




and after just five minutes of yanking thigh-high weeds:


Note that most of the 'lushness' in the before picture was WEEDS. There's actually supposed to be dirt visible between the plants!


Then, the other morning I threw stale popcorn into the yard for the birds and noticed this huge rock.  





I asked my daughter (who loves rocks) if she left it there.  She looked at me like I was crazy.


So I went down to investigate.  I discovered it was a HUGE mushroom.  I've never seen one this big.









Hubs has since removed it, thankfully.  It grossed me out.


Obviously, my gardening skills are limited.  I'm looking for some colorful plants/flowers that I can put in the back corner next spring that are shade tolerant.  I'd like something that will come up year after year (don't think mine do...but I'll find out for sure next spring!)  Do any of you gardening gurus have suggestions?

10 comments:

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss vicki! wow thats sure a super big mushroom. i wonder if you could have cooked it and ate it. we dont have much plants except the inside ones. we got a lot of thumbs but none of them are green. ha ha if no one could give you a answer im gonna ask my cousin tonys wife cathy what stuff you could plant. shes got a gigantical garden and shes what you call a master gardener and knows just lots of stuff about plants and flowers.
...hugs from lenny

Carole Anne Carr said...

Hi Vicki, we live on a hill, at the mercy of winds from all directions where fragile plants won't survive. At our age we can do very little gardening, so we have flowering bushes, they bloom at different times of the year, variagated colours, and with global warming the Southern European shrubs are more and more willing to survive and flower year after year further north. With bark chippings between them that cover the beds and kill the weeds, there is very little to do. Hugs..

aspiring_x said...

LOL! i have a black thumb! so don't ask me!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't even try...

LTM said...

omg, vicki--LOL! That is the hugest freakin mushroom I've ever seen. ... not sure why that makes me giggle.

Also, I say I have a purple thumb--as far from green as you can get. ;p

Bish Denham said...

Thanks goodness my husband has a marvelous green thumb. I could probably kill cactus.

Shellie said...

Gardening in Florida is a challange, it's the darn HEAT and way too much sun. I just planted sunflowers seeds two weeks ago because I wanted them blooming by Thanksgiving. Wouldn't you know it, soon as I got them in the ground, the daily rain we been getting just stopped. Yep, haven't had a drop of rain in two weeks. Water them myself you say? What am I, a cloud?

Dawn said...

Sorry sunshine, I'm of no help. Every year I promise to create the world's most amazing garden in the front yard and the back - but my dogs have torn up the grass, and even if I did have a beautiful flower bed, my grass stays crappy so the whole yard looks like crap. Instead, we go camping every weekend and my husband puts fresh flowers in the kitchen every week or so :-) I don't even have any house plants my thumb is so black.

Rayna M. Iyer said...

My seven year old has taught me that weeds are plants too, and often prettier than real plants. Gardening has become much easier after I accepted that.

Carolyn Abiad said...

I agree with Rayna - weeds are any plants growing where you don't want them. This past year, everything just belonged in my garden. No weeding required ;)