Join the Madness

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We've Never Met


Oh HOW do I prepare you for the change of gears today?  

You know I'm usually pretty upbeat and light-hearted around here, right?  That's not an act. It's who I AM...usually.  Lately there's been a dark cloud and I need to acknowledge it to clear the skies and get back to the sunshine where I'm more comfortable.

Let me first say poetry is not my thing.  It is a delicate art and I frankly have no desire to master it.  Those of you who dedicate yourself to this skill have my utmost respect.  Actually I'm not exactly sure what this piece is...but it doesn't matter.  It doesn't need a label, it just needs to get out of my head.

All you need to know: I discovered recently that someone I only know through someone else is terminally ill and it's thrown me for a loop. Not sure why this has sucker punched me, but it has.  So let me throw this out in hopes of moving on.



I am surprised by the depth of my sorrow.
by the void already in my heart 
by the number of tears I've shed
and by the loss of friendship never begun.

Because we have never met.

I think about the family that loves
the friends that know
all who will miss
and I cry for them too.

Though we have never met.

I want to help.  
I want to offer words of comfort or reassurance.
I want to sit by quietly, just so no one needs to be alone.
I want to run errands, wash dishes or walk dogs - whatever chore is too burdensome to bear.

But we have never met.

And when word reaches me that it is over,
when vitality is moved to memory,
and when peace is restored at last
I will mourn in silence.

Because we have never met.



Okay, I'm really sorry to bring you down like that, but I'm glad it's out of  my head.

Tomorrow I shall announce a contest.  
A happy, fun, gotta-be-part-of-it contest.  
I will clear these gloomy clouds and get back to being ridiculous again.

Because you and I?  We have never met...but there's still hope! ;)

23 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

I know how that feels- to know 'of' a family but not really know them and when disaster strikes, it's natural to want to help. Especially with something so sad. There's no reason why you can't send a card with a message about who you are, how sorry you are to hear the news and that you'd like to help in whatever way you can. It can't hurt and at least the family will know you're thinking of them along with many other people who their story has touched.

Mason Canyon said...

Sometimes people we have never met (and never will) do effect us for some unknown reason. I tell myself it's just a way to remind us that were are all connected somehow whether we realize it or not. Enjoyed your piece, very moving.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jen said...

I think it shows what an amazing heart you have, just because we've never met someone doesn't mean it doesn't hit a piece of us, in fact just depending on where we are at in life also makes a difference.

I have a friend who has had a friend pass and it's the hardest and sadest reality. You want to comfort them but don't know how, you don't want to step across any boundaries. The world of loss is a big one and they need support from every angle.

Talei said...

Oh Vicki...I know we've never met but I'm sending you a great big hug! This is a great poem, very moving.

I can't begin to understand how strange it must be to be so effected by someone you know through someone else. The only thing I can think if is that life is short and fragile and fleeting - we don't always realise that until we come in contact with someone who might not be here tomorrow.

Come out to the sunshine when you're ready, your blogging buddies will be here.

aspiring_x said...

*hugs*

Clarissa Draper said...

That's a powerful poem. I'm really sorry to hear what's happening.

CD

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Hugs.

Loved your poem. I think, even if you don't directly know someone, you can still feel sorrow for them. :)

Bish Denham said...

I think you expressed yourself and your feelings very well in that poem. Even though you don't know this person, there might be something you can do, like volunteer to read to him/her. I can tell you from personal experience when I was very ill being read to was a comfort. My hubby read to an acquaintance who was dying. This man had very few visitors, even family came rarely. He told my husband he was surprised to learn who his friends were. He appreciated my husband's visits and the simple act of reading a favorite book to him.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

That's beautiful, Vicki! I think we've all felt like that at some point. I feel it when I watch the news of the latest disaster to hit a community or a country.

Jenna Wallace said...

It is strange how the plight of someone we don't know can touch our hearts, isn't it? That you feel this so deeply speaks volumes about you as a person.

Wendy Ramer said...

It's beautiful, and your pain shows incredible compassion. As for you and I having never met, I'm looking forward to our almost shared coffee, drink, whatever in NYC next month ;-)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

That was so beautiful, I feel the sorrow, too. It is possible to mourn those we've never met just by knowing something of their lives.

Talli Roland said...

I love this poem. It's touching and poignant for the very reason that you *have* never met. I think hearing things like that reminds us of our own life and how it can be so short - and taken away so easily.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

How very sad! And I know what you mean - it throws me too, to find someone (especially in similar age/circumstances) who has been struck down by illness.

Take Care!

JW said...

I think that is a powerful poem and I dare say, anyone is welcome to indulge in poetry. If it touches you, chances are it will touch at least one other person and that IS poetry in my book. I am sorry for the news, many prayers for this one you never met and I will never know... much love, Janelle

Candyland said...

I loved this post. It's okay to let the dark surface sometimes. We all hurt and feel and love and cry. The poem is beautiful and so are you.

Shellie said...

When something seems random and unfair, it strikes a chord of sympathy and the reason? Universal consciousness. But even so, no reason is ever necessary to be empathetic. xoxoxo.

Ed Pilolla said...

beautiful, and acknowledging something in order to release it is a wise move, girl.

Mary said...

Very beautiful and moving. Just go with it. You ma or may not learn why this affected you. No matter; because you feel.
See you in the sunshine!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Vicki--It's okay to show you care...deeply. I know what you mean...I really do... I think artistic people tend to feel things deeply and have a hard time holding them inside. Or at least that is how it works for me...The whole world knows when I'm happy and when I'm sad.

(hug) See you tomorrow...

Jolene Perry said...

Isn't it sometimes so much harder to know people we love are going through something difficult than to just do it ourselves?

Angela said...

That was a beautiful, touching poem. And goodness, you don't have to feel guilty for not being happy all the time. Life is about feeling, and it isn't much of a life if you don't let yourself be sad sometimes.

I hope your friend, who you've never officially met, has all the support she needs.

LTM said...

gah! I'm so behind on the rounds (been writing--squee!) so I'm just seeing this....

I'm SO sorry to hear this. :o| I had a similar experience last year when a lady I had never met but knew about through her family died. She was close to my age, and for some reason, that just made me so sad. I guess it was feeling the sadness of others? Empathy?

But that's a great poem. And hang in there~ <3