Join the Madness

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Memory Lane


All this talk about New York made me remember an English teacher I'd had once who had just moved from New York.  She always seemed so timid.  I remember wondering how she ever survived in the city.  She looked like the sort the city would chew up and spit out.

Well, one day she told us her survival secret.  

I hope to God she was making it up.

If it were ME, I would've made something ELSE up.  

She said that the best thing to do was to walk the streets with your hands clenched...like you were ready for a fight.  If that didn't work and you were confronted by someone, she recommended screaming like a crazy person and _____  ______  ______.

Care to fill in the blank?  I'll be nice and count it as an entry to my what would you say / do contest

I'll tell you her answer tomorrow.

11 comments:

Damyanti said...

Wow....never thought of New York like that.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Clap your hands? :) I don't know what I would do! Twirl in circles? Twist your hair? :)

Wendy Ramer said...

...wet your pants.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

...and spin on the ground like a crazed break-dancer on acid!

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss vicki! yikes! i hope you dont ever get in that problem when you go on your trip to new york. for me id kick him in the krotch. ooouch!! for her being a school teacher when she got stopped screaming shed pull out a ruler and smack him on his hands. ha ha.
...smiles and laughs from lenny

LTM said...

I'm w/Wendy--wet your pants. That's what they say you should do in rape situations. Now THAT'S a nice Saturday a.m. thought...

Actually, I think NYC was pretty rough in the 80s, but it's cleaned up a lot. I mean, don't do anything dumb, but you should be fine walking around the city. I've never felt threatened there... :D

Bish Denham said...

she recommended screaming like a crazy person and kicking them in the groin.

Clarissa Draper said...

asking for money.

CD

Jemi Fraser said...

... run like hell. :)

Theresa Milstein said...

... unleash karate chops.

DLCurran said...

and foaming at the mouth?